Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
hmm hmm is offline

Default Relative references in conditional formats

It is good that Excel 2007 has the feature of Contional Format manager.
However, there is something I believe needs correction.

Suppose I have a conditional format that extends from A2:A1000, to highlight
in red if A2<A1, or A3<A2, etc. I want to check the conditional format in
one selected cell, say A500. In previous versions of Excel, the conditional
format for cell A500 would be shown as A500<A499. In Excel 2007, however, it
is shown as A2<A1 -- the condition for the top cell, A2. This can mislead
the user to thinking he needs to correct the conditional format; especially
in the Edit Formatting Rule dialgog box, where the range the formatting
applies to is not shown.

Additionally, the cell in the name box should remain as A500, and not change
to the cell selected for defining the condition; the user would thus always
know the calling cell of a relative reference. Again, this is how it was in
earlier Excel versions.

In short, conditional formats, when viewed, should show releative references
as they apply to the upper-leftmost cell in the selection, and the name box
should display this selected cell throughout the condtional formatting
session; both of these were the case in pre-2007 editions of Excel.

Thanks for your attention.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.