CC

Default change automatically a value when another cell value changes

I keep a list of students and activities. Because the number of students per
activity is limited, I would to track the date and time when they selected
their activity:
Student Activity Date
--------- -------- -----------
Smith Tennis 02/01/05

I would like the cells in the Date column to change automatically when the
Activity value is changed.
Thanks a lot,

Paul B

CC, here is one way using Worksheet_Change event

'will put date & time in column C when something is put in B
If Target.Count 1 Then Exit Sub
If Target.Column = 2 Then
Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Now() 'change Now() to Date if you want the date
only

To put in this macro right click on the worksheet tab and view code, in the
window that opens paste this code, press Alt and Q to close this window and
to change the macro security settings to get the macro to run. To change the
security settings go to tools, macro, security, security level and set it to
medium

"CC" wrote in message
I keep a list of students and activities. Because the number of students
per
activity is limited, I would to track the date and time when they selected
their activity:
Student Activity Date
--------- -------- -----------
Smith Tennis 02/01/05

I would like the cells in the Date column to change automatically when the
Activity value is changed.
Thanks a lot,

Ron de Bruin

Hi CC

You can do it with the change event of the worksheet
This example will place the date/time in the B column if you change
a cell in the range A1:A20.

Place the code in the Sheet module

Right click on a sheet tab and choose view code
Paste the code there
Alt-Q to go back to Excel

If Not Application.Intersect(Range("a1:a20"), Target) Is Nothing Then
Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Format(Now, "mm-dd-yy hh:mm:ss")

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl