Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Changing date format

Month by month I have to work a spreadsheet containing values that should be
in dd/mm/yyyy format but as I get this page from an internal program, I use
to get mm/dd/yyyy.
The real problem comes when I try to change mm/dd/yyyy to dd/mm/yyyy as the
first one is considered in General Number and it is not possible to change it
to any of the above mentioned (as Numbers).
What I have to do every month is to separate the text into columns, export
the result to word, replace Tabs for / and copy the result back to the excel
spreadsheet.
Is there any way to do this conversion in a simple way?
Just to reinforce: I'm not able to change it directly in excel as it seems
the column takes a special programming info outside my control.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Is there any way to do this conversion in a simple way?

Try Data Text to Columns
to convert it all at one go into dates recognized by Excel

Select the col of "dates", click Data Text to Columns
Click Next Next
In step 3, under Col data format:
Check "Date", then select the format from the droplist, eg: MDY
Click Finish

Now you should be able to format the dates to taste
--
Max
Singapore
"PaulinaDi" wrote:
Month by month I have to work a spreadsheet containing values that should be
in dd/mm/yyyy format but as I get this page from an internal program, I use
to get mm/dd/yyyy.
The real problem comes when I try to change mm/dd/yyyy to dd/mm/yyyy as the
first one is considered in General Number and it is not possible to change it
to any of the above mentioned (as Numbers).
What I have to do every month is to separate the text into columns, export
the result to word, replace Tabs for / and copy the result back to the excel
spreadsheet.
Is there any way to do this conversion in a simple way?
Just to reinforce: I'm not able to change it directly in excel as it seems
the column takes a special programming info outside my control.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Excellent. ..
That's good. Take a moment to press the "Yes" button below

Do you know why I get those numbers with no format so I have to do this step?

It probably has to do with the output from that internal program. What's
more important is that you know how to deal with it.