Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ambika

Default what is the minimum numbers set for 4 digit numbers from 0000 to 9

I am trying to generate the minimum number set for numbers from 0000 to 9999.
An example is with 1234 I can get all the combinations of the number.
example 2134, 2314, 2412 ..... My question is how can I generate all set of
numbers which will include all the combinations. I would be glad if someone
can give the full set of the 4 digit numbers.

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Do a search in Google, http://groups.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en,
with a group of *excel*, and a search of words 'Combinations Permutations'
without the quotes, and you will find many previous posts on the topic

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Ambika" wrote in message
I am trying to generate the minimum number set for numbers from 0000 to

9999.
An example is with 1234 I can get all the combinations of the number.
example 2134, 2314, 2412 ..... My question is how can I generate all set

of
numbers which will include all the combinations. I would be glad if

someone
can give the full set of the 4 digit numbers.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
a_moron

uhm? I dont get it?
You can't get more or less than 10 000 diffrent combinations with the
numbers 0000 to 9999, unless u want to use less numbers like
1,2,3,01,02,03,001,002,003 etc.

if you use the numbers 0000 to 9999 you will get the combinations as
follows:
0000
0001
0002
0003
etc..
to:
9997
9998
9999

--
a_moron

a_moron's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30671
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505237

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ambika

Default what is the minimum numbers set for 4 digit numbers from 0000

What I want is as follows: My worked example is for a 2 digit number from 00
to 99

Please see all the numbers for generating the numbers from 00 to 99. Using
the 54 numbers below I would have all the numbers from 00 to 99. What I want
is minimum numbers in detail for the 4 digit numbers from 0000 to 9999.

0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
44
45
46
47
48
49
55
56
57
58
59
66
67
68
69
77
78
79
88
89
99
from the example above 12 and 21 can be generated from 12.

Thanks for the help.
Ambika

"a_moron" wrote:

uhm? I dont get it?
You can't get more or less than 10 000 diffrent combinations with the
numbers 0000 to 9999, unless u want to use less numbers like
1,2,3,01,02,03,001,002,003 etc.

if you use the numbers 0000 to 9999 you will get the combinations as
follows:
0000
0001
0002
0003
etc..
to:
9997
9998
9999

--
a_moron

a_moron's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30671
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505237

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
a_moron

Ah, OK, so if you want to generate number 3232 you must generate it from
2233 and not 2223 (as the last one only has one '3') ?

--
a_moron

a_moron's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30671
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505237

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete

Do you mean that you want to generate a list like this, but for 4
numbers, or do you want to know what the number of
combinations/permutations of 4 digits is?

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:14:02 -0800, Ambika
wrote:

I am trying to generate the minimum number set for numbers from 0000 to 9999.
An example is with 1234 I can get all the combinations of the number.
example 2134, 2314, 2412 ..... My question is how can I generate all set of
numbers which will include all the combinations. I would be glad if someone
can give the full set of the 4 digit numbers.

Thank you

Uh, how about

A1: 0
A2: =A1+1

Copy/drag down to A9999

Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: 0000

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

714 figures

0001
0002
0003
0004
0005
0006
0007
0008
0009
0011
0012
0013
0014
0015
0016
0017
0018
0019
0022
0023
0024
0025
0026
0027
0028
0029
0033
0034
0035
0036
0037
0038
0039
0044
0045
0046
0047
0048
0049
0055
0056
0057
0058
0059
0066
0067
0068
0069
0077
0078
0079
0088
0089
0099
0111
0112
0113
0114
0115
0116
0117
0118
0119
0122
0123
0124
0125
0126
0127
0128
0129
0133
0134
0135
0136
0137
0138
0139
0144
0145
0146
0147
0148
0149
0155
0156
0157
0158
0159
0166
0167
0168
0169
0177
0178
0179
0188
0189
0199
0222
0223
0224
0225
0226
0227
0228
0229
0233
0234
0235
0236
0237
0238
0239
0244
0245
0246
0247
0248
0249
0255
0256
0257
0258
0259
0266
0267
0268
0269
0277
0278
0279
0288
0289
0299
0333
0334
0335
0336
0337
0338
0339
0344
0345
0346
0347
0348
0349
0355
0356
0357
0358
0359
0366
0367
0368
0369
0377
0378
0379
0388
0389
0399
0444
0445
0446
0447
0448
0449
0455
0456
0457
0458
0459
0466
0467
0468
0469
0477
0478
0479
0488
0489
0499
0555
0556
0557
0558
0559
0566
0567
0568
0569
0577
0578
0579
0588
0589
0599
0666
0667
0668
0669
0677
0678
0679
0688
0689
0699
0777
0778
0779
0788
0789
0799
0888
0889
0899
0999
1111
1112
1113
1114
1115
1116
1117
1118
1119
1122
1123
1124
1125
1126
1127
1128
1129
1133
1134
1135
1136
1137
1138
1139
1144
1145
1146
1147
1148
1149
1155
1156
1157
1158
1159
1166
1167
1168
1169
1177
1178
1179
1188
1189
1199
1222
1223
1224
1225
1226
1227
1228
1229
1233
1234
1235
1236
1237
1238
1239
1244
1245
1246
1247
1248
1249
1255
1256
1257
1258
1259
1266
1267
1268
1269
1277
1278
1279
1288
1289
1299
1333
1334
1335
1336
1337
1338
1339
1344
1345
1346
1347
1348
1349
1355
1356
1357
1358
1359
1366
1367
1368
1369
1377
1378
1379
1388
1389
1399
1444
1445
1446
1447
1448
1449
1455
1456
1457
1458
1459
1466
1467
1468
1469
1477
1478
1479
1488
1489
1499
1555
1556
1557
1558
1559
1566
1567
1568
1569
1577
1578
1579
1588
1589
1599
1666
1667
1668
1669
1677
1678
1679
1688
1689
1699
1777
1778
1779
1788
1789
1799
1888
1889
1899
1999
2222
2223
2224
2225
2226
2227
2228
2229
2233
2234
2235
2236
2237
2238
2239
2244
2245
2246
2247
2248
2249
2255
2256
2257
2258
2259
2266
2267
2268
2269
2277
2278
2279
2288
2289
2299
2333
2334
2335
2336
2337
2338
2339
2344
2345
2346
2347
2348
2349
2355
2356
2357
2358
2359
2366
2367
2368
2369
2377
2378
2379
2388
2389
2399
2444
2445
2446
2447
2448
2449
2455
2456
2457
2458
2459
2466
2467
2468
2469
2477
2478
2479
2488
2489
2499
2555
2556
2557
2558
2559
2566
2567
2568
2569
2577
2578
2579
2588
2589
2599
2666
2667
2668
2669
2677
2678
2679
2688
2689
2699
2777
2778
2779
2788
2789
2799
2888
2889
2899
2999
3333
3334
3335
3336
3337
3338
3339
3344
3345
3346
3347
3348
3349
3355
3356
3357
3358
3359
3366
3367
3368
3369
3377
3378
3379
3388
3389
3399
3444
3445
3446
3447
3448
3449
3455
3456
3457
3458
3459
3466
3467
3468
3469
3477
3478
3479
3488
3489
3499
3555
3556
3557
3558
3559
3566
3567
3568
3569
3577
3578
3579
3588
3589
3599
3666
3667
3668
3669
3677
3678
3679
3688
3689
3699
3777
3778
3779
3788
3789
3799
3888
3889
3899
3999
4444
4445
4446
4447
4448
4449
4455
4456
4457
4458
4459
4466
4467
4468
4469
4477
4478
4479
4488
4489
4499
4555
4556
4557
4558
4559
4566
4567
4568
4569
4577
4578
4579
4588
4589
4599
4666
4667
4668
4669
4677
4678
4679
4688
4689
4699
4777
4778
4779
4788
4789
4799
4888
4889
4899
4999
5555
5556
5557
5558
5559
5566
5567
5568
5569
5577
5578
5579
5588
5589
5599
5666
5667
5668
5669
5677
5678
5679
5688
5689
5699
5777
5778
5779
5788
5789
5799
5888
5889
5899
5999
6666
6667
6668
6669
6677
6678
6679
6688
6689
6699
6777
6778
6779
6788
6789
6799
6888
6889
6899
6999
7777
7778
7779
7788
7789
7799
7888
7889
7899
7999
8888
8889
8899
8999
9999

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

714 figures

0001
0002
0003
0004
0005
0006
0007
0008
0009
0011
0012
0013
0014
0015
0016
0017
0018
0019
0022
0023
0024
0025
0026
0027
0028
0029
0033
0034
0035
0036
0037
0038
0039
0044
0045
0046
0047
0048
0049
0055
0056
0057
0058
0059
0066
0067
0068
0069
0077
0078
0079
0088
0089
0099
0111
0112
0113
0114
0115
0116
0117
0118
0119
0122
0123
0124
0125
0126
0127
0128
0129
0133
0134
0135
0136
0137
0138
0139
0144
0145
0146
0147
0148
0149
0155
0156
0157
0158
0159
0166
0167
0168
0169
0177
0178
0179
0188
0189
0199
0222
0223
0224
0225
0226
0227
0228
0229
0233
0234
0235
0236
0237
0238
0239
0244
0245
0246
0247
0248
0249
0255
0256
0257
0258
0259
0266
0267
0268
0269
0277
0278
0279
0288
0289
0299
0333
0334
0335
0336
0337
0338
0339
0344
0345
0346
0347
0348
0349
0355
0356
0357
0358
0359
0366
0367
0368
0369
0377
0378
0379
0388
0389
0399
0444
0445
0446
0447
0448
0449
0455
0456
0457
0458
0459
0466
0467
0468
0469
0477
0478
0479
0488
0489
0499
0555
0556
0557
0558
0559
0566
0567
0568
0569
0577
0578
0579
0588
0589
0599
0666
0667
0668
0669
0677
0678
0679
0688
0689
0699
0777
0778
0779
0788
0789
0799
0888
0889
0899
0999
1111
1112
1113
1114
1115
1116
1117
1118
1119
1122
1123
1124
1125
1126
1127
1128
1129
1133
1134
1135
1136
1137
1138
1139
1144
1145
1146
1147
1148
1149
1155
1156
1157
1158
1159
1166
1167
1168
1169
1177
1178
1179
1188
1189
1199
1222
1223
1224
1225
1226
1227
1228
1229
1233
1234
1235
1236
1237
1238
1239
1244
1245
1246
1247
1248
1249
1255
1256
1257
1258
1259
1266
1267
1268
1269
1277
1278
1279
1288
1289
1299
1333
1334
1335
1336
1337
1338
1339
1344
1345
1346
1347
1348
1349
1355
1356
1357
1358
1359
1366
1367
1368
1369
1377
1378
1379
1388
1389
1399
1444
1445
1446
1447
1448
1449
1455
1456
1457
1458
1459
1466
1467
1468
1469
1477
1478
1479
1488
1489
1499
1555
1556
1557
1558
1559
1566
1567
1568
1569
1577
1578
1579
1588
1589
1599
1666
1667
1668
1669
1677
1678
1679
1688
1689
1699
1777
1778
1779
1788
1789
1799
1888
1889
1899
1999
2222
2223
2224
2225
2226
2227
2228
2229
2233
2234
2235
2236
2237
2238
2239
2244
2245
2246
2247
2248
2249
2255
2256
2257
2258
2259
2266
2267
2268
2269
2277
2278
2279
2288
2289
2299
2333
2334
2335
2336
2337
2338
2339
2344
2345
2346
2347
2348
2349
2355
2356
2357
2358
2359
2366
2367
2368
2369
2377
2378
2379
2388
2389
2399
2444
2445
2446
2447
2448
2449
2455
2456
2457
2458
2459
2466
2467
2468
2469
2477
2478
2479
2488
2489
2499
2555
2556
2557
2558
2559
2566
2567
2568
2569
2577
2578
2579
2588
2589
2599
2666
2667
2668
2669
2677
2678
2679
2688
2689
2699
2777
2778
2779
2788
2789
2799
2888
2889
2899
2999
3333
3334
3335
3336
3337
3338
3339
3344
3345
3346
3347
3348
3349
3355
3356
3357
3358
3359
3366
3367
3368
3369
3377
3378
3379
3388
3389
3399
3444
3445
3446
3447
3448
3449
3455
3456
3457
3458
3459
3466
3467
3468
3469
3477
3478
3479
3488
3489
3499
3555
3556
3557
3558
3559
3566
3567
3568
3569
3577
3578
3579
3588
3589
3599
3666
3667
3668
3669
3677
3678
3679
3688
3689
3699
3777
3778
3779
3788
3789
3799
3888
3889
3899
3999
4444
4445
4446
4447
4448
4449
4455
4456
4457
4458
4459
4466
4467
4468
4469
4477
4478
4479
4488
4489
4499
4555
4556
4557
4558
4559
4566
4567
4568
4569
4577
4578
4579
4588
4589
4599
4666
4667
4668
4669
4677
4678
4679
4688
4689
4699
4777
4778
4779
4788
4789
4799
4888
4889
4899
4999
5555
5556
5557
5558
5559
5566
5567
5568
5569
5577
5578
5579
5588
5589
5599
5666
5667
5668
5669
5677
5678
5679
5688
5689
5699
5777
5778
5779
5788
5789
5799
5888
5889
5899
5999
6666
6667
6668
6669
6677
6678
6679
6688
6689
6699
6777
6778
6779
6788
6789
6799
6888
6889
6899
6999
7777
7778
7779
7788
7789
7799
7888
7889
7899
7999
8888
8889
8899
8999
9999

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On 26 Jan 2006 07:56:15 -0800, wrote:

714 figures

0001
0002

Thanks for posting that. I clearly did not understand the question.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On 26 Jan 2006 07:56:15 -0800, wrote:

714 figures

I thought I understood it. But why isn't 0000 considered to be in the set?

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ambika

Hi and greetings to all, This is what I wanted. Great help
Thank you very much. Could you share with me the method to generate these
numbers.

Thanks and regards
Ambika Karpagam

" wrote:

714 figures

0001
0002
0003
0004
0005
0006
0007
0008
0009
0011
0012
0013
0014
0015
0016
0017
0018
0019
0022
0023
0024
0025
0026
0027
0028
0029
0033
0034
0035
0036
0037
0038
0039
0044
0045
0046
0047
0048
0049
0055
0056
0057
0058
0059
0066
0067
0068
0069
0077
0078
0079
0088
0089
0099
0111
0112
0113
0114
0115
0116
0117
0118
0119
0122
0123
0124
0125
0126
0127
0128
0129
0133
0134
0135
0136
0137
0138
0139
0144
0145
0146
0147
0148
0149
0155
0156
0157
0158
0159
0166
0167
0168
0169
0177
0178
0179
0188
0189
0199
0222
0223
0224
0225
0226
0227
0228
0229
0233
0234
0235
0236
0237
0238
0239
0244
0245
0246
0247
0248
0249
0255
0256
0257
0258
0259
0266
0267
0268
0269
0277
0278
0279
0288
0289
0299
0333
0334
0335
0336
0337
0338
0339
0344
0345
0346
0347
0348
0349
0355
0356
0357
0358
0359
0366
0367
0368
0369
0377
0378
0379
0388
0389
0399
0444
0445
0446
0447
0448
0449
0455
0456
0457
0458
0459
0466
0467
0468
0469
0477
0478
0479
0488
0489
0499
0555
0556
0557
0558
0559
0566
0567
0568
0569
0577
0578
0579
0588
0589
0599
0666
0667
0668
0669
0677
0678
0679
0688
0689
0699
0777
0778
0779
0788
0789
0799
0888
0889
0899
0999
1111
1112
1113
1114
1115
1116
1117
1118
1119
1122
1123
1124
1125
1126
1127
1128
1129
1133
1134
1135
1136
1137
1138
1139
1144
1145
1146
1147
1148
1149
1155
1156
1157
1158
1159
1166
1167
1168
1169
1177
1178
1179
1188
1189
1199
1222
1223
1224
1225
1226
1227
1228
1229
1233
1234
1235
1236
1237
1238
1239
1244
1245
1246
1247
1248
1249
1255
1256
1257
1258
1259
1266
1267
1268
1269
1277
1278
1279
1288

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Probably did not use the easiest methode but here goes:

I put figures from 0001-9999 in cell A1-A9999.

In C1-Y1 I made all the different combinations of the figure in A1 by
using MID-formulas like this one in C1:
MID($A1;1;1)&MID($A1;2;1)&MID($A1;4;1)&MID($A1;3;1 ) and this one in D1:
MID($A1;1;1)&MID($A1;3;1)&MID($A1;2;1)&MID($A1;4;1 ) and so on.

Copy down C1-Y1 to c9999-Y9999 giving you all possible combinations for
all numbers.

Then in B2 I put the following formula: COUNTIF($C$1:Y1;A2)
This counts the number of times the figure A2 appears based on
combinations of previous figures. Copy down to B9999 (this took a long
time for my computer to calculate...). So in B10 the formula
COUNTIF($C$1:Y9;A10) will tell you that the figure in A10 (0010)
already has been made 6 times by combinations of previous figures (0001
with the zeros changing places gives 6 times 0010).

Finally I then used autofilter and chose 0 in column B as criteria
(meaning all uniqe figures not possible to make by all previous
figures). Copy and paste the result into a different sheet, giving you
714 numbers.

Hope you understood a bit of this, although I am not very good at
explaining :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

0000 probably should be included when I look at the OP question:
"I am trying to generate the minimum number set for numbers from 0000
to 9999."

So 715 would then be the correct answer...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On 27 Jan 2006 06:34:45 -0800, wrote:

0000 probably should be included when I look at the OP question:
"I am trying to generate the minimum number set for numbers from 0000
to 9999."

So 715 would then be the correct answer...

OK, now it makes sense to me. Thanks.
--ron