Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default If changed array formula reduce ""\""\""\ - signs to #Missing, will it make ...

I had earlier a array in a column with 200 rows, with a formula that pointed
at a range of 200 rows that's mostly empty, making a lot of ""\""\""\ -
signs for the bottom part of the array column (after F9 is pressed when
formula is selected).

The array formula is still in the range of 200 rows, but now the formula
just point at currently 37 rows dynamic named range, instead of the 200 that
is the maximum possible. Some ""\""\""\ - signs are still there in the
array column, but only a few. In the 200 rows array column, there will be a
lot of "#Missing" errors, and the question is if the array work faster now

In Short:
200 rows array = Formula -- 200 cells in one column
200 rows array = Formula -- Dynamic named range max. 200 cells in one
column, but now 37 cells used

Can anybody tell me from this description, if the arrays work faster by
this? It make also me understand better how arrays work and become execute
in excel....

(I bought FastExcel some days ago, and will be able to check this later, but
it take a while to understand how to use it.)

/Kind regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Without knowing particulars, I would expect an array formula that looks at
fewer rows to be faster than an equivalent one looking at more rows.
Howver, from a practical standpoint, if the difference isn't noticeable,
then not sure it makes any difference.

Tom Ogilvy

"Maria J-son" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I just tested it with FastExcel , and time was reduced with 40%. You're
right Tom - but the interest is caused by precisely slow calculating, caused
by complex array formulas and many cells to be calculated. Now I work to
make the formulas more intelligent and not calculate more cells than
nessecary.

/Regards
..