Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Either percentage or dollar discount formula

Would like to have the option to discount a list of sales items by either
plugging in a discount OR a dollar amount on the same row.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In order to make this work, you need to either tell excel what you
want to do (i.e. % or $) or make an assumption about the data.

this assumes the following:
a1 has the sales amount
b2: If you're entering a % it will be less than 1 (i.e. .25 or 25%).
if the number is then 1 it assumes that you're subtracting $
c2 has this formula =IF(B1<1,A1-A1*B1,A1-B1)

On Jun 12, 8:54 am, KHiggins2008
wrote:
Would like to have the option to discount a list of sales items by either
plugging in a discount OR a dollar amount on the same row.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you, but I think I worded the question wrong - what I am trying to do
is give a sales rep the option to either put in a % discount, or allow them
to enter a FINAL price without them having to calculate. For example, an
item listed at $20,000, and they want the final price to be $17,500. How can
I let them either say "I want a 20% discount, or I just want the price to
"end up" being $17,500. Thanks again.