DLFox

Default Ignoring Initial Articles in Field Sort

I have a small file from a non-profit organization I'm working with. They
have set the "corporate Name" column in the Excel table to ignore initial
articles (A, An, The) I would like to duplicate the format but can't locate
instructions for ignoring the sort of initial articles. How do I do that?

Thanks.

DLFox
Art Farrell

Assuming your names are in Column A you could put this formula in Column B
and drag down:

=IF(LEFT(A1,2)="A ",REPLACE(A1,1,2,),IF(LEFT(A1,3)="An
",REPLACE(A1,1,3,),IF(LEFT(A1,4)="The ",REPLACE(A1,1,4,),A1)))

Then select both columns and sort on Column B.

CHORDially,
Art Farrell

"DLFox" wrote in message
I have a small file from a non-profit organization I'm working with. They
have set the "corporate Name" column in the Excel table to ignore initial
articles (A, An, The) I would like to duplicate the format but can't

locate
instructions for ignoring the sort of initial articles. How do I do that?

Thanks.

DLFox

DLFox

Thanks! That will certainly do the job, and I appreciate the suggestion.
The file in question seems to operate on a much simpler protocol. It is the
first column. I tested the operational aspect by adding a name with an
article. When I sorted the column it dropped the article (The) and filed
without any intervention on my part at all. Similarly, column "B" does not
contain any obvious code, so it really looks like some sort of "background"
operation at play, a dictionary perhaps. The file also recognizes a second
sort which I haven't completely figured out. The first sort lists
foundations and the status of grant requests directed to them. The second
sort, same columns, lists corporations and the status of grant requests
directed to them. The software controlling the sort doesn't assign a name to
one or the other, but it does keep them straight once assigned. This appears
to be some very sophisticated work -- beyond my poor power to add and
subtract -- but also well beyond the scope of anyone in the office today.
Mostly I'd like to modify (update) what is listed on the file but I'm afraid
to tamper with it because I don't understand it and haven't been able to
locate the underlying code. Again, thanks for your suggestions, I may need
to dig even deeper.

DLFox

"DLFox" wrote:

I have a small file from a non-profit organization I'm working with. They
have set the "corporate Name" column in the Excel table to ignore initial
articles (A, An, The) I would like to duplicate the format but can't locate
instructions for ignoring the sort of initial articles. How do I do that?

Thanks.

DLFox

Art Farrell

Hi DL,

I assume it's in Excel. If it's not proprietary and you want me to take a
look at it send me a copy of the workbook. At my age I'm strictly
unproprietary. If not, that's fine, too.

CHORDially,
Art Farrell