Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
No Name

Default Conditional formatting causing Excel to crash

Hi - and thanks for reading this.

I have a csv file which I open in Excel (2K). It is 4 columns by about 300
rows. When I conditional format a row (something simple like =$D2=$D1) and
try to save the sheet as XLS, it crashes. I can save it as long as I don't
change the format (Font, Pattern or Border). I've tried it on two machines.
On one it just closes Excel without warning or error, and on the other it
crashed with an error dialog box.

I don't understand why it does this. I have been using Excel for years
without problems. Could it be something in the csv that is causing it? If I
load the csv, save it as an XLS and then try and CF, it still crashes.

Thanks.
Andy.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just guesses and things to try...

Try changing to a different printer/printer driver (easiest to try--even if it
fails).

Do you select entire columns when you do this conditonal formatting?

Try it with just the 300 rows selected.

Or try it with a single cell (or a few cells).

I'm not sure if xl2k offers this feature, but look under Help on the menubar.

Do you see a Detect and Repair option? Try it if you see it.

Have you thought about reinstalling excel?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
No Name

Hi Dave.

Thanks for the reply.
I ran Detect and Repair - but that only seems to apply to Excel rather than
the current workbook (I'm sure you know this!) and as it fails on 2
different machines I didn't really expect it to make any difference.
But - you've hit it on the head with the printer. I changed it and it works.
It's a printer I've had for a couple of years - and I do this sort of stuff
all the time. I cannot understand what the problem is - and why it would
just suddenly go wrong!

Anyway, thanks!!
Andy.

Andy wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It seems like lots of excel crashes are caused by printer/printer driver
issues.

I have no idea on the technical details, but excel does use the printer driver
to figure out how things should look on the screen.

Everything is connected to everything else!