Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sprinkman

Default Help with application of custom format to entire column

Help !!

When I'm using the format cells - number tab - categorie "custom" function
to an entire column; I enter format codes (####-#####-#) then select OK
button.
The existing data (1234567891)(no dashes) does not appear in each cell
within the column; not until I edit each cell (F2 or double-click) and hit
enter does the format appear. How do I make the format appear without going
to each individual cell?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I think your data is actually text. And just changing the format of the cell
won't change the value of the cell.

One way to change Text Numbers to Number Numbers is...

Select an empty cell
edit|copy
select the offending range
edit|paste special|click Add.

You may have to reformat that range to your custom format.

--

Dave Peterson