Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Userform problem with "Run Time Error 75"

Hi Robert,

I started having similar problems quite recently (Run Time Error
75" ("Could Not Find The Specified Object"), seems to happen
sporadically when vba is trying to reference a form - doesn't seem to
limited to one particular form. I have a vague (very) notion that
there is an "orphaned" form object, caused by halting the code during
development. Also, whenever this happens, Excel will crash if I try
to save the application. This has been happening with increasing
frequency, and is quite frustrating. I'm running Winsows XP SP3 and
XL2007.

I'm just wondering if you've found the cause/solution to this yet.

regards,

Dave

On Dec 28 2009, 11:33*pm, "Robert Crandal" wrote:
This is follow-up related to my posting here on 12/19/09
regarding "Run Time Error 75" ("Could Not Find The
Specified Object".

Basically, my Userform1 is "disappearing" from my workbook
for some unknown reason, even if my workbook is untouched
for any period of time longer than 2 minutes. *If I come back to
my computer after 2 minutes, I will try to load myformwith this
code: * (which causes RT-Error 75)

* * * * * * * * *UserForm1.Show vbModeless *

I also get an Error 75 message if I try to run the following code:

* * * * * MsgBox "Name ofform: " & UserForm1.Name

Then, if I try to view my UserForm1 object in my VBAProject
view window, I get an error that says "Path/File sccess Error".

Does anybody have any theories why I cannot suddenly use
Userform1 in my workbook, especially if my code is not very
complicated at all?? * All I do is handle UserForm1_Initialize()
and Worksheet_Change() and all my code does is transfer
data from userform to spreadsheet and vice versa with very
very very basic VBA code. *I even set "Application.EnableEvents"
to false and true inside my Worksheet_change() function.

Could this be just an operating system issues?? *(I noticed
that this problem only occurs while using Excel 2007
(Trial Version) on Windows XP Professional SP2. *I never get
this error on Windows Vista using Excel 2007)

Might this problem just be related to a bad or bugged version
of Windows XP, Service Pack 2??? * Ican'tthink of anything else.

thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Dave!

You will be pleased to know that I HAVE discovered my own
solution to this annoying problem and here it is:

Only "load" your userform just ONCE and NEVER "unload" it!
If someone tries to close your form, rather than unloading the
form, just hide it instead. If someone tries to display your
form again, simply unhide it!

My point is, only "load" the form once, so that your form's
"initialize" function only gets called once. From that point,
simply write code that will hide or unhide the form itself,
but dont "unload" the form data structure from memory.

Let me know if you need code examples for this. I have
tested this thoroughly and I never see the RTE 75 error
any more!

As to what causes this problem, I am not entirely sure.
Are you using modeless forms when it crashes??

Robert

"Dave Unger" wrote in message
Hi Robert,

I started having similar problems quite recently (Run Time Error
75" ("Could Not Find The Specified Object"), seems to happen
sporadically when vba is trying to reference a form - doesn't seem to
limited to one particular form. I have a vague (very) notion that
there is an "orphaned" form object, caused by halting the code during
development. Also, whenever this happens, Excel will crash if I try
to save the application. This has been happening with increasing
frequency, and is quite frustrating. I'm running Winsows XP SP3 and
XL2007.

I'm just wondering if you've found the cause/solution to this yet.

regards,

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

Only "load" your userform just ONCE and NEVER "unload" it!
If someone tries to close your form, rather than unloading the
form, just hide it instead. If someone tries to display your
form again, simply unhide it!

My usual practise is to display the form, retrieve the form data, then
unload the form - the procedure then carries on with the retrieved
data. In my case, the "x" box is locked out from the user, and
closing, opening and pretty much all else is under vba control. The
application I'm working on is very large, and has a large number of
forms (approx 30). I'll review all these to make sure that there
isn't a "slip up" somewhere.

As to what causes this problem, I am not entirely sure.
Are you using modeless forms when it crashes??

Interesting - as a matter of fact, the last few days I have been using
a modeless form (as a progress indicator), and that's when I have
noticed an increase in the failures. I'll certainly peruse that quite
carefully. Also, I noticed that once I get the "Run Time Error 75"
message, and I click OK, and then do nothing, after a few minutes
Excel will display the dreaded "Excel has to close .." error message.

Thanks for your insight on this, Robert, I'll let you know how this
works out for me.

regards,

Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My usual practise is to display the form, retrieve the form data, then
unload the form - the procedure then carries on with the retrieved
data. In my case, the "x" box is locked out from the user, and
closing, opening and pretty much all else is under vba control. The
application I'm working on is very large, and has a large number of
forms (approx 30). I'll review all these to make sure that there
isn't a "slip up" somewhere.

I did my tests on a new and empty project that only contains one
userform. I also put one pushbutton on Sheet1 which loads
the form as modeless. I then tried opening and closing the form a couple
times, then I noticed that Run Time Error 75 kept occurrring....

So, now I'm positive that this error is not due to an error in my code
at all, but rather an Excel or operating system specific error!

Just be careful if you have a modeless form that can be loaded and unloaded
constantly. I'm guessing that the form gets lost in memory somewhere once
the unload happens....hence my solution to NEVER unload a form and
resort to hide and unhide tactics.

Please do keep me informed if you discover anything new regarding this
matter. Thank you Dave!

Robert C.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robert,

I did my tests on a new and empty project that only contains one
userform. *I also put one pushbutton on Sheet1 which loads
the form as modeless. *I then tried opening and closing the form a couple
times, then I noticed that Run Time Error 75 kept occurrring....

Would you mind showing me exactly how you're doing this? I set this
up, and try as I might, could not get it to fail!

Please do keep me informed if you discover anything new regarding this
matter. *Thank you Dave!

I certainly will.

regards,

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sure, I will look for my basic example that creates the error
and I will post it here ASAP.

However, I know for sure that if I load my modeless userform
just ONCE and never unload it, that I never see the Run Time
Error 75 any more. I still haven't pinpointed the exact problem,
but I now it happens randomly whenver I unload my userform
and try to load it again.

Are you still seeing the error??

"Dave Unger" wrote in message
Hi Robert,

I did my tests on a new and empty project that only contains one
userform. I also put one pushbutton on Sheet1 which loads
the form as modeless. I then tried opening and closing the form a couple
times, then I noticed that Run Time Error 75 kept occurrring....

Would you mind showing me exactly how you're doing this? I set this
up, and try as I might, could not get it to fail!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robert,

Sure, I will look for my basic example that creates the error
and I will post it here ASAP.

Looking forward to it.

However, I know for sure that if I load my modeless userform
just ONCE and never unload it, that I never see the Run Time
Error 75 any more. * I still haven't pinpointed the exact problem,
but I now it happens randomly whenver I unload my userform
and try to load it again.

Are you still seeing the error??

Yes, it's still happening, sporadically, but I can't seem to generate
it at will. I've also something else when I get that error. Let's
say I have forms A, B, C, D, E in the vba object list. Assume that I
get the error while trying to access form C. Now I find I can open
any form above that (A to B in this case), but nothing from C on down
(C to D). I'm getting out of my depth here, but it seems that the
form object list has somehow been severed at that point.

I'm hoping your example will allow me to re-create this anytime.

regards,

Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, it's still happening, sporadically, but I can't seem to generate
it at will. *I've also something else when I get that error. *Let's
say I have forms A, B, C, D, E in the vba object list. Assume that I
get the error while trying to access form C. *Now I find I can open
any form above that (A to B in this case), but nothing from C on down
(C to D). *

Sorry, typo in my last message, above line shoud be:

Now I find I can open any form above that (A to B in this case), but
nothing from C on down
(C to E).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Dave Unger" wrote in message

I'm hoping your example will allow me to re-create this anytime.

Operating System: Window XP, Service Pack 3 (upgraded recently from SP 2)
Software used: Excel 2007

Steps to follow:

1) Create a new/blank-workbook project.

2) Insert new "userform" object into your project.
(Leave the form empty, with no controls!)

3) Insert a "pushbutton" (form control) on top of Sheet1.

4) Assign new macro for "Button1", which by default
links with the "Button1_Click()" subroutine.

5) In your "Button1_Click()" subroutine, enter the following
code: UserForm1.Show vbModeless

6) Go to Sheet1 and press "Button 1".... this will display your
userform in modeless form.

7) Close the userform by pressing the "X" button.

8) On Sheet1, type random data into any 3 or more cells. Go to
Sheet2 and Sheet3 and do the same. Just enter random data
into all sheets, then switch back to Sheet1.

9) Now leave your PC alone for 3 or more minutes. My screensaver
starts after 3 minutes.

10) Come back to your PC and try to load the userform again by
pressing "Button 1". It is at this point where you should see
any of the following errors: "Path/File access error" or
"Cannot find specified object". If you don't see an error message
right away, keep repeating steps 7 to 10 above until you see the
error message.

Many people here have suggested that possibly there was an error in my
code, but as you can see above I have created a completely empty project
that contains only ONE userform, ONE pushbutton, and ONE line of
code, yet I am still seeing an error message. This must be an Excel
or operating system specific bug, don't you think???

Anyways, the only workaround that I found was to avoid "unloading"
the modeless userform; if a user tries to close the form by pressing "X",
I simply hide the form instead of unloading it. (I then unhide or show it
again if necessary!)

Perhaps I am missing an upgrade or patch for Excel 2007??? If I finally
solve this mystery I will surely let you know Dave! Please run the above
steps and tell me if you see the same error. Also let me know if you
figure out how to fix this. Thank you!

Robert C.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robert,

Thanks for this. I set up your scenario and sure enough, I get that
error message too.

Additionally, if I close this workbook before I get the message, then
open another application in the same instance of Excel, the new
application will also generate the error message. I haven't been able
to track anything down yet, sometimes I'll get the message after a
couple of minutes, other times it'll be Ok for 15 - 20 minutes.

I'll let you know if anything else develops.

regards,

Dave

PS - I am surprised that no one else has reported having this problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have been having this issue on a few of my sheets. I only just
recently found the forum because previously I only noticed the crash
when I attempted to save. Once I realized it was attached to the
userform I changed my search string and came up with this.

I am having this same issue. As far as I have been able to test not
"unloading" doesn't resolve anything. It will still crash. I am
running windows 7. Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

--
boggimedes
boggimedes's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=1798

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi boggimedes

On Apr 25, 8:29*am, boggimedes
wrote:
I have been having this issue on a few of my sheets. *I only just
recently found the forum because previously I only noticed the crash
when I attempted to save. *Once I realized it was attached to the
userform I changed my search string and came up with this.

I am having this same issue. *As far as I have been able to test not
"unloading" doesn't resolve anything. *It will still crash. *I am
running windows 7. *Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

No, not yet (speaking for myself). However, it's still happening.
Sometimes it will be good until I try to save, then I get the error,
which is extremely frustrating. Anyway, from your message it seems
like the problem isn't limited to windows XP. I am a bit surprised we
haven't heard from more people on this.

regards,

DaveU
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am surprised as well, though I suppose it is probably much less common
that people use sheets where they open and close userforms. Plus I had
a really hard time figuring out it was a userform issue. I thought it
just crashed randomly at first. Then I realized it was any time I
saved (or it autosaved). Still was some time before I noticed the
pattern. Anyway, DO have a solution, though its not the best one.

Office 2010 beta is out, and it resolves the issue. Just proves once
and for all that it is nothing to do with how we coded. Must be
something in the way 2007 handles userforms that they changed in the new
version. Doubtful that MS will try to fix it in 07 now that 10is on the
horizon. Looks like we'll all just have to upgrade.... again.

Hey, at least its fixed somehow! :-) I'll keep myself on the
notification list for this forum just in case someone else smarter than
I finds a solution.

--
boggimedes
boggimedes's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=1798
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=165579

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi boggimedes

Thanks for the heads up re Office 2010. You're probably right about
"updating" to fix a microsoft problem, but as you suggest, what choice
do we have?

regards,

DaveU