Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default The fx button and the "=" sign

I've just upgraded to Windows XP and Office 2003 from Windows & Office 2000.
In the older (2000 version) of Excel, when I hit the fx button of the formula
bar it automatically put an "=" sign in the beginning of the formula bar
which I then could type in my formula. With Office 2003 when I hit the fx
button, an "=" sign is put in the box but then the Insert Function box opens
and wants me to select an excel function. I do not necessarily want to use a
function from this box,but may want to just type a formula after the "="
sign. However, if I close or cancel the Function Box, the "=" sign
disappears from the function line. I realize that I can click my cursor in
the function line and type in an "=" sign, however, after using the older
version of excel for so many years, I am just used to clicking the fx button
for automatic insert of the "=" sign. Is there something I need to shut off
so that the Function box does not open automatically prompting me for what
excel function I want?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I realize that I can do that, but after using the fx button for such a long
period of time to enter an "=" sign and then typing my formula after, I am
just programed to hit the fx button for an automatic insertion of the "="
sign to the formula bar.

"Carolyn" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Carolyn

This, to me, was one of the most inconvenient new feaures initiated with xl2002.

A workaround..........

ToolsCustomizeCommandsInsert category.

Scroll down to the "=" sign icon and drag it up to your Toolbar.

When you hit that icon you will get an = sign in the cell and formula bar
without the Function Wizard popping up.

Note at the same time the name box will give you a short list of functions to
choose from.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP