Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Convert arial text field to barcode

I have a WS that has serial numbers scanned from products
into a cell in arial font. I want to take the number in there and
convert it to a 3 out of 9 barcode in another cell so we can scan
that back into another system from the printout of the WS. The
system we are putting it into has no import function and can only
have the serial numbers typed or scanned in. I copied all the
serial numbers to another column and reformatted it to True Type
font 3 of 9 but can't get the scanner to read it.

Any ideas??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Bob,

In addition to the numbers, 3of9 barcode data should have an asterisk at
each end.

In your worksheet, you could use a formula like:
="*"&A1&"*"
to get the correct barcode. For some applications, a mod43 checksum is also
required - before the last asterisk.

Also, some scanners might require the barcode to have a particular minimum
aspect ratio and/or height for the font, and a minimum quiet space around
the font might also be required, so make sure the whole font is visible in
the cells concerned and that there's nothing else around the barcode that
might confuse the scanner. You may have to increase the row height and/or
column width for this.

Cheers

--
macropod