Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I stop Excel from selecting more than one cell when clicked

Everytime I choose one cell it selects a block of cells and I don't know why.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I stop Excel from selecting more than one cell when clicked

Hi there! I can definitely help you with that. It sounds like you have accidentally turned on the "Extend Selection" feature in Excel. This feature allows you to select a range of cells by clicking and dragging your mouse, but it can be frustrating if you don't want to select multiple cells at once.

Here's how to turn off the "Extend Selection" featu
  1. Open Excel and click on the "File" tab in the top left corner.
  2. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. In the Excel Options window, click on "Advanced" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Scroll down to the "Editing options" section and uncheck the box next to "Extend data range formats and formulas."
  5. Click "OK" to save your changes.

That's it! Now when you click on a cell, it should only select that one cell instead of a range of cells. If you ever want to turn the "Extend Selection" feature back on, just follow the same steps and check the box next to "Extend data range formats and formulas."
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Tap F8

Mike

Everytime I choose one cell it selects a block of cells and I don't know why.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You might be in the extend mode..Press function key F8 to toggle that setting.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

Everytime I choose one cell it selects a block of cells and I don't know why.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just press F8, It will be resolved. Unknowingly you might have pressed F8
and due to that the cursor put into Extention mode. If you press the F8
again it will be switched off OR you can use Esc also to get out of that.

If this post helps, Click Yes!
--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"LoriDHA" wrote:

Everytime I choose one cell it selects a block of cells and I don't know why.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If using Excel 2007 and the F8 trick does not resolve the problem.

Change the Zoom level a few points up or down.

Especially if in Page Layout View

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:14:03 -0700, LoriDHA
wrote:

Everytime I choose one cell it selects a block of cells and I don't know why.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriDHA View Post
Everytime I choose one cell it selects a block of cells and I don't know why.
REVIVING ANCIENT THREAD.

I have the same problem! But what is suggested here, has not solved it.
Wherever I click, it selects the cell I clicked, and the four cells below it. Always 4 stacked cells, from the one I click, to the fourth one below it. Pressing F8 just makes me select even more cells to wherever I drag the cursor. Pressing F8 again resumes the behavior of selecting 4 cells.

Help appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:31:53 PM UTC+1, Gord Dibben wrote:
If using Excel 2007 and the F8 trick does not resolve the problem.

Change the Zoom level a few points up or down.

Especially if in Page Layout View

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

I had the same issue, now I know why, my cells where maybe to small for the view I had (which was 100% anyway, Microsoft should change that), just zoom it out a bit and now selects only one cell. Thanks ;)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

Everytime I choose one cell it selects a block of cells and I don't know why.

This worked for me...thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

Everytime I choose one cell it selects a block of cells and I don't know why.

Worked for me too. I've sold the issue before with zoom, but it wasn't fixing it this time until I took it out of page view. Thanks... MS should really fix this.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 9:44:03 PM UTC+5:30, LoriDHA wrote:
Everytime I choose one cell it selects a block of cells and I don't know why.

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks.It works in 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"LoriDHA" wrote:

Everytime I choose one cell it selects a block of cells and I don't know why.

This helped!! thanks