Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Philipm

Default FVSCHEDULE should allow cell reference for interest rate schedule

To compute the future value of an investment by applying a constant
compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) over 8 years Excel requires that I type
in the actual interest rate for all 8 years using the FVSCHEDULE function.
FVSCHEDULE does not allow me to use a cell reference in the interest rate
array. Which means if I want to model an investment with different interest
rates - -I have to manually change all eight years of the interest rate
schedule every time. I would like Excel to allow the FVSchedule function to
use cell references for the interest rate array. Or create a true CAGR
function.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...et.f unctions
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Philip J Smith

Hi Philip

The function does allow you to give the array as a range of cells, named or
otherwise and will ignore blank cells in the calculation.

In the example below
Principle = 1
Schedule is a range of 4 cells

Assuming that you set the principle as 1 then the CAGR can be calulated as

=FVSCHEDULE(Principle,Schedule)^(1/COUNT(Schedule))-1

Alternatively The FVSCHEDULE function could be replaced by an array function.

{=Principle*PRODUCT(1+Schedule)}

Hope this helps.

Phil