matthewDBS

Default Problem with Excel 2003 restricting functionality

I have MS Excel 2003 installed on my computer. When I open a new workbook and
click on any cell, the pointer goes to a white cross or plus symbol. Then I
am unable to do anything. I can move the mouse anywhere on the sheet and it
highlights the cells that the pointer has gone over as if I am selecting a
range/group of cells such as you would if you were going to delete them or
clear contents. I try to right click and nothing happens. I move the pointer
over the tool bar, it does nothing. I hit <ESC and still nothing. The only
thing that does anything is going into the task manager and ending the
process. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, ran spyware, installed updates
for office 2003 and nothing is working to correct the problem. I am back to a
basic installation of Excel 2003. Yes the computer has been rebooted, i tried
running excel in safe mode and it did the same thing. I deleted the temp
files. Nothing seems to work. I know it is not the mouse since it works fine
with all other applications. It has to be some type of setting with Excel is
my guess. I was not able to find an answer by searching the posts so that is
why I am posting this question.

Thanks,

Matthew
RagDyer