Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jonesteam

Default Pasword protected Excel file encrypted, how do I read this file?

I password protected an important file. My husband downloaded the Office
2003 upgrade last night. Now when I try to access the file I get this
message...This is an Excel file, I don't know why it looks encrypted or why I
can't access it.

This file is not in a recognizable format.

If you know the file is from another program which is incompatible with
Microsoft Office Excel, click Cancel, then open this file in its orginal
application. If you want to open the file later in Microsoft office Excel,
save it in a format that is compatible, such as text format.

If you suspect the file is damaged, click Help for moare information about
solving the problem.

If you still want to see what text is contained in the file, chlick OK.
Then clieck Finish in the Text Import Wizard.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

One thing that could have gone wrong (majorly wrong, so cross your fingers this
isn't it!) is that you could have done your work in MSWord--not excel.

Can you open that file (better make a copy first!) in MSWord.

Open MSWord
file|open your workbook

If it opens ok here, then you may have saved it in MSWord--destroying the
"excelness" of your data.

You can copy and paste (into a new excel workbook) to save as much as you
can--but I'm hoping that you have a backup somewhere.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

I doubt it is "encrypted", probably just not a valid format.

Was the file an old one you had kicking around from a much older version of
Excel......pre-95?

Perhaps it got opened once in Word then inadvertantly saved in Word Format?

Are you trying to open it directly from removable media such as a floppy or
CD?

Try copying first to Hard Drive then opening.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP