Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sum below a specific row

I am attempting to use the SUM function to add values below a certain row? I
know that SUM(A:A) can be used to add every value in the column, and
SUM(A1:A5) can be used to add values in a defined range.

What do I do if I only know one of the values in my range? For example, I'd
like to be able to add the values in column A for every row below row 8
without having to change the defined range each time. e.g - SUM(A9:A??)

How can this be accomplished?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi jdunnisher,

You can sum all numbers below row 8,

SUM(A9:A1048576)

because Excel 2007 has a 1,048,576 row capacity,

or

If all of the cells between the first cell and the last cell have a value,
and there is always a blank after the last cell to be summed:

=SUM(INDIRECT("A9:A"&MATCH(99999999999999999999999 9999999,A:A,1)))

In place of the 999..., use a number that will always be greater than any
number being summed.

Thanks,
Peggy