Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default If a range of cells in Excel are formatted as dates ie. (mm/dd/yy)

If a range of cells in Excel are formatted as dates i.e. (mm/dd/yy or
mm-dd-yyyy) etc. then the user should not have to enter the slashes or dashes
when entering the date. For instance for 12-31-2006 I should only have to
enter 12312006 or maybe even 123106 (if a century function can be set).
Also, if a cell is formatted with two decimal places I should not have to
enter the decimal point. Or better yet use add-mode data entry (like a
desktop calculator). Most software is designed by engineers that arn't
trained to enter data on a 10 key pad. I'm an accountant, and I generally
have to enter quite a bit of transaction data in a spreadsheet, and the above
suggestions would make my (and other business peoples') life easier.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Application.EnableEvents = False
If Len(Target) = 8 Then ' must always enter full 4 char yyyy
Target.Value = Left(Target, 2) & "/" & Mid(Target, 3, 2) & "/" &
Right(Target, 4)
End If
If Len(Target) = 7 Then 'accomodates for months 1 - 9
Target.Value = Left(Target, 1) & "/" & Mid(Target, 2, 2) & "/" &
Right(Target, 4)
End If
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

"mfoley" wrote:

If a range of cells in Excel are formatted as dates i.e. (mm/dd/yy or
mm-dd-yyyy) etc. then the user should not have to enter the slashes or dashes
when entering the date. For instance for 12-31-2006 I should only have to
enter 12312006 or maybe even 123106 (if a century function can be set).
Also, if a cell is formatted with two decimal places I should not have to
enter the decimal point. Or better yet use add-mode data entry (like a
desktop calculator). Most software is designed by engineers that arn't
trained to enter data on a 10 key pad. I'm an accountant, and I generally
have to enter quite a bit of transaction data in a spreadsheet, and the above
suggestions would make my (and other business peoples') life easier.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"mfoley" wrote in message
Also, if a cell is formatted with two decimal places I should not have to
enter the decimal point.

Tools/ Options/ Edit/ Fixed Decimal Places
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The two solutions offered are patches and not complete. First I don't like to
use macros, my people always end up screwing them up. Second the solution of
setting the decimal places to 2 in the options menu changes the default to
two decimals for the entire spreadsheet.

Again, if a range of cells is formated "mm-dd-yyyy" then the program should
recognize the format as a templet and properly punctuate the imput. It does
this on some formatted ranges (i.e. percentages). Sure it will take a little
extra programming but after all by formatting the cell the user is telling
you what he wants.