longer

Default Excel Calculation Error for formula to sum

I entered a formula of =sum(E11:E56) for example and excel did not return a
correct calculation. I checked the format of the cells and it is a custom
one. I checked for hidden values and could not find any (to my understanding
it will show a blank cell but if the cell is highlighted and it is a hidden
value it will show the number in the formula bar). The sum that Excel
returned is exactly 6033 over, which is a value that is included of what I
told excel to add for me. Any ideas? I changed the format to general, to a
number, etc and it did not help. Also, another item that is strange is that
if I copy the cells from the spreadsheet to a new one, it adds fine. I also
checked the style and it is set on common, changed the format of the cells to
general, text, currency, etc and it still will not add correctly. Thank you.

--
Longer

--
Longer
JulieD

Hi

it is possible that something that looks like a number isn't a number
you can use (in column F)
=ISNUMBER(E11)
to test whether all the numbers in the range you're adding are actually
numbers
- if not, click on an unused and unformatted cell somewhere and copy it
select your range and choose edit/ paste special - values
you might also need to click on your formula and press F2 F9 and then enter

--
Cheers
JulieD
"longer" wrote in message
[...]

Niek Otten

<select your range and choose edit/ paste special - values

Don't!

I'm sure Julie meant select your range and choose EditPaste Special, check
Add.

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten