Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Spreadsheet opens very slowly

I have an Excel (.xls) file. It opens very slowly on other PC's (to the tune
of seven to ten minutes). I'll try to give the information:

- It's 3.5 mb
- it has 245 worksheets
- it "only" links to two files, and we've broken those links, but with no
difference.

- It opens within a a minute on my PC (I have a new laptop with 4 GB RAM),
but it also open very slowly on a similar PC in another location
- It opens on a low-end PC (512 mb RAM/1.6 GHz processor) within a minute
- On the PC's that it takes a long time to open, it doesn't matter if the
spreadsheet is on the network or the local drive - it takes as long either way
- some PC's have Excel 2003, others have 2007, and it still takes as long

Thanks in advance for any thoughts . . .

Rich
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Rich,

How many calculations does this spreadsheet have? It could be that some
users have automatic calculation turned on and others (including yourself)
have it turned off.

"Rich W." wrote:

I have an Excel (.xls) file. It opens very slowly on other PC's (to the tune
of seven to ten minutes). I'll try to give the information:

- It's 3.5 mb
- it has 245 worksheets
- it "only" links to two files, and we've broken those links, but with no
difference.

- It opens within a a minute on my PC (I have a new laptop with 4 GB RAM),
but it also open very slowly on a similar PC in another location
- It opens on a low-end PC (512 mb RAM/1.6 GHz processor) within a minute
- On the PC's that it takes a long time to open, it doesn't matter if the
spreadsheet is on the network or the local drive - it takes as long either way
- some PC's have Excel 2003, others have 2007, and it still takes as long

Thanks in advance for any thoughts . . .

Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In addition to what Jason said, the other users may have different
anti-virus apps than you do. Some can REALLY slow down the process of
opening files in a big way. You can test this theory by making each computer
safe (disconnect from network, internet, by actually unplugging cables),
then shutting down the AV software to see if it helps. If it does help, you
obviously can't leave the AV software off in the future, but at least you
have an answer.

"Rich W." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Jason . . . I did make that suggestion to the other guy. I did have my
Automatic recalculation turned on.

The plot thickens!

Rich

"Rich W." wrote:

I have an Excel (.xls) file. It opens very slowly on other PC's (to the tune
of seven to ten minutes). I'll try to give the information:

- It's 3.5 mb
- it has 245 worksheets
- it "only" links to two files, and we've broken those links, but with no
difference.

- It opens within a a minute on my PC (I have a new laptop with 4 GB RAM),
but it also open very slowly on a similar PC in another location
- It opens on a low-end PC (512 mb RAM/1.6 GHz processor) within a minute
- On the PC's that it takes a long time to open, it doesn't matter if the
spreadsheet is on the network or the local drive - it takes as long either way
- some PC's have Excel 2003, others have 2007, and it still takes as long

Thanks in advance for any thoughts . . .

Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Joe . . .

I did suggest that they physically pull the network cable, but I did not
suggest the AV angle. (Our company uses McAfee, and I have 8.5 on my PC -
they may have the older 8.0 version.)

We'll see . . .

Rich

"Rich W." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another...
Clear the windows temp file - the one found at...
Start | Run | %temp%
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA