Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Damondism's

Default Dame: identifying duplicate numbers within a column

I have a spreadsheet with thousands of invoice numbers, i need to identify
duplicate numbers within a specific column. I'm not great with excel,
lay-terms would be appreciated =)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers

Assume your invoice numbers are in column A:

In an empty ("helper") column put the following formula and copy down until
the last invoice row. Change column to suit.

=IF(COUNTIF(A:A,"=" &A1)1,"Duplicate","")

Duplicate invoices will have "Duplicate" in the column. If invoice 123456
appears 3 times, each occurence will have "Duplicate" in your "helper" column

HTH

"Damondism's" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with thousands of invoice numbers, i need to identify
duplicate numbers within a specific column. I'm not great with excel,
lay-terms would be appreciated =)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB

After using Topper's suggestion, you can then work with just the duplicates
by using the autofilter (assumes you have a header row). Select the row with
your headers, click Data/Filter/Autofilter. You should see a drop arrow next
to the column w/Toppers formulae, click this arrow and select "Duplicate".

Turn off the filter the same way you turned it on.