Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nsv

Default Replace Line Feed

If you format a cell to wrap text, you can artificially put in a Line
Feed with ALT+ENTER. I you format back to unwrap, the Line Feed command
is shown as a square.

I have a spread sheet with a lot of Line Feeds, and I want them
replaced with semicolons, but they are quite elusive and I cannot eg.
put them into the search and replace function.

Anyone has a hint?

NSV

--
nsv
nsv's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26500

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Here is a neat trick:

Use Find/Replace, but in the FindWhat field, hold down the ALT key type 010
and then release the ALT key. Enter your normal character in the Replace
field.

You can use this trick to replace a variety of non-type-able characters.
--
Gary''s Student

"nsv" wrote:

If you format a cell to wrap text, you can artificially put in a Line
Feed with ALT+ENTER. I you format back to unwrap, the Line Feed command
is shown as a square.

I have a spread sheet with a lot of Line Feeds, and I want them
replaced with semicolons, but they are quite elusive and I cannot eg.
put them into the search and replace function.

Anyone has a hint?

NSV

--
nsv
nsv's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26500
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=513147

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

If you prefer a formula method, as opposed to the cool method Gary describes,
you can use this formula. The example assumes the value containing the line
feeds is in cell A1

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),";")
--
Kevin Backmann

"nsv" wrote:

If you format a cell to wrap text, you can artificially put in a Line
Feed with ALT+ENTER. I you format back to unwrap, the Line Feed command
is shown as a square.

I have a spread sheet with a lot of Line Feeds, and I want them
replaced with semicolons, but they are quite elusive and I cannot eg.
put them into the search and replace function.

Anyone has a hint?

NSV

--
nsv
nsv's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26500
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=513147

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Even neater...

Use ctrl-j instead of alt-0010 (easier to describe and easier to do!)

"nsv" wrote:

If you format a cell to wrap text, you can artificially put in a Line
Feed with ALT+ENTER. I you format back to unwrap, the Line Feed command
is shown as a square.

I have a spread sheet with a lot of Line Feeds, and I want them
replaced with semicolons, but they are quite elusive and I cannot eg.
put them into the search and replace function.

Anyone has a hint?

NSV

--
nsv
nsv's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26500
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=513147

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

Use ctrl-j instead of alt-0010

I never knew that . Pretty cool.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"nsv" wrote:

If you format a cell to wrap text, you can artificially put
in a Line
Feed with ALT+ENTER. I you format back to unwrap, the Line
Feed command
is shown as a square.

I have a spread sheet with a lot of Line Feeds, and I want
them
replaced with semicolons, but they are quite elusive and I
cannot eg.
put them into the search and replace function.

Anyone has a hint?

NSV

--
nsv
nsv's Profile:
View this thread:

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nsv

Thanks - I'm quite familiar with the ALT + nnnn for writing ±, ², ³,
etc., but the 010 code was new to me. I looked in the character map for
a LF code, and didn't find anything. And also the CTRL + j was quite
cool. Where did you find those codes?

--
nsv
nsv's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26500
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=513147

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that will help determine what that
character(s) is:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

You could also look at Windows CharMap.exe
windows start button|run|charmap and hit enter

Or
windows start button|program files|accessories|...

The ctrl-j is a hold over from before windows--the old DOS and DOS programs used
those kinds of keys.