Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default copy and paste with multiple selections in Microsoft Excel

I would like to be able to select multiple rows, columns or cells and then
paste the information into a different worksheet or workbook. But every time
that I try to accomplish this I get an error that the copy command does not
work on multiple selections. Is there a way around this?

I found this page http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip36.htm that may help
solve the problem but I do not know how to use it or even if it will work in
Excel 2003. If it can't how do I go about modifying it so that it can be
used? Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi,
When u select the cells in a work sheets, after copying it, select only
one cell in the new sheet and paste the data. Do not click more than one
cell in the new sheet.

"capnhud" wrote:

I would like to be able to select multiple rows, columns or cells and then
paste the information into a different worksheet or workbook. But every time
that I try to accomplish this I get an error that the copy command does not
work on multiple selections. Is there a way around this?

I found this page http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip36.htm that may help
solve the problem but I do not know how to use it or even if it will work in
Excel 2003. If it can't how do I go about modifying it so that it can be
used? Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi and thank you for the response, but when I paste into the new worksheet
instead of maintaining the separations of the rows and columns everything
just wound up being close together instead maintain it distinct row and
column spacing

"capnhud" wrote:

I would like to be able to select multiple rows, columns or cells and then
paste the information into a different worksheet or workbook. But every time
that I try to accomplish this I get an error that the copy command does not
work on multiple selections. Is there a way around this?

I found this page http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip36.htm that may help
solve the problem but I do not know how to use it or even if it will work in
Excel 2003. If it can't how do I go about modifying it so that it can be
used? Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The code you find at John's site does work with Excel 2003.

To use it................

First make a good backup of you workbook.

With your workbook open, hit ALT + F11 to go to Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CTRL + r to open the Project Explorer.

Select your workbook/project and right-clickInsertModule.

Copy and Paste John's code into that module

ALT + q to return to the Excel window.

Select your non-contiguous ranges to copy by using the CTRL key + click

ToolsMacroMacros and select the macro and run it.

You will be asked to select the top left cell of the paste-to range.

Select another worksheet and a cell and OK.

Paste will preserve the spacings you desire.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 01:42:01 -0700, capnhud
wrote:

I would like to be able to select multiple rows, columns or cells and then
paste the information into a different worksheet or workbook. But every time
that I try to accomplish this I get an error that the copy command does not
work on multiple selections. Is there a way around this?

I found this page http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip36.htm that may help
solve the problem but I do not know how to use it or even if it will work in
Excel 2003. If it can't how do I go about modifying it so that it can be
used? Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My instructions are for just copying the code from the site and pasting to a
module.

You also have the option to download a workbook with the code already in it.

I find it easier to copy/paste directly than downloading a workbook and opening
it then copy/pasting from that book to yours.

Gord

wrote:

I would like to be able to select multiple rows, columns or cells and then
paste the information into a different worksheet or workbook. But every time
that I try to accomplish this I get an error that the copy command does not
work on multiple selections. Is there a way around this?

I found this page http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip36.htm that may help
solve the problem but I do not know how to use it or even if it will work in
Excel 2003. If it can't how do I go about modifying it so that it can be
used? Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You missed something.

I followed the exact steps before I posted those instructions and the code ran
fine for me.

Keep trying.

Gord

wrote:

I would like to be able to select multiple rows, columns or cells and then
paste the information into a different worksheet or workbook. But every time
that I try to accomplish this I get an error that the copy command does not
work on multiple selections. Is there a way around this?

I found this page http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip36.htm that may help
solve the problem but I do not know how to use it or even if it will work in
Excel 2003. If it can't how do I go about modifying it so that it can be
used? Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes I did I was naming the cell myself instead of just selecting the cell in
another worksheet. Once I did that everything worked perfectly. How do I go
about saving this macro to reuse anytime that I want?

wrote:

I would like to be able to select multiple rows, columns or cells and then
paste the information into a different worksheet or workbook. But every time
that I try to accomplish this I get an error that the copy command does not
work on multiple selections. Is there a way around this?

I found this page http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip36.htm that may help
solve the problem but I do not know how to use it or even if it will work in
Excel 2003. If it can't how do I go about modifying it so that it can be
used? Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may want to store it in your Personal Macro Workbook which is by default
named Personal.xls.

This macro and all others you record or copy/paste will be placed in
Personal.xls and be available for all open workbooks.

If you don't have a Personal.xls you can create one..........

With an existing workbook open..........

ToolsMacroRecord New Macro. Store in Personal Macro Workbook.

Record some simple steps like copying a cell and pasting it.

Hit the Stop Recording button.

You now have a Personal.xls workbook.

Hit ALT + F11 to go to the Visual Basic Editor.

CTRL + r to open project explorer.

Find Personal.xls and double-click on Module1.

Copy/paste John's macro into that module.

Alt + q to go back to Excel.

WindowHide Personal.xls

Close Excel and you will be asked if you want to save changes to Personal.xls.

Yes, you do.

Whenever you open Excel. Personal.xls will open hidden but macros will be
available.

Gord