Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel'03 crashes with VLOOKUPS ending in FALSE

I'm an experienced Excel user - I've recently upgraded machine, which has
meant upgrading from Excel 2000 to Excel 2003.

I use the VLOOKUP commands *a lot* with my job.

I see that Excel 2003 now has the option to use Text labels (e.g "Sales",
etc) instead of cell references (e.g $A$3).

I only ever use Cell references, because I find it easier to work with,
easier to spot if something goes wrong, etc.

Since upgrading to Excel 2003, VLOOKUPS have started failing to work
properly.

Example :

=VLOOKUP($D6,[Book2]Sheet1!$D$7:$G$11,2,

I can get as far into the formula as this...but when I want to type "FALSE)"
and hit enter, I get a dialogue box open up saying "Identify Label".

When I click on the 'X' to close this dialogue box, Excel promptly crashes
- every single time.

What's more, I've note been able to find a means of turning off this damned
"Identify Label" function.

It's a classic case of "If it aint broken - Don't fix it !".

Anyone have any tips on how I can permanently turn this annoying new
function off, I'd be very grateful..

Thanks,
Andy.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you mean Tools / Options / Calculation Tab / 'Accept labels in Formulas'?

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"andy_suffers_Excel_2003_over-engineering"
wrote
in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

BTW, for the OP. This option is also available in 2000 (I am using 2000 and
just checked.) I wonder if maybe it is turned on default in 2003, or maybe
whoever set up the installation turned this option on?
--
Kevin Vaughn