Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chris

Default Counting different items in one column

Hoping someone can guide me in this task....

I have a column that contains 4 different types of items (calling them
letters to make easier: Q, A, P, L)

I need to have a cell at the bottom that basically creates a total count of
each item but only if they are certain items. For example here's a sample
column: and I only want A's and P's counted to make the total.

(the cell would count 2a's, 1p and the number 3 would show up in the total
column)

Is there a formula that would help with this (I'm assuming some sort of If
statement)

thanks for taking the time to read this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Domenic

Assuming that A2:A8 contains your data, try...

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2:A8,{"A","P"},0)))

or

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2:A8,B2:B3,0)))

....where B2:B3 contains A and P.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Chris wrote:

Hoping someone can guide me in this task....

I have a column that contains 4 different types of items (calling them
letters to make easier: Q, A, P, L)

I need to have a cell at the bottom that basically creates a total count of
each item but only if they are certain items. For example here's a sample
column: and I only want A's and P's counted to make the total.

(the cell would count 2a's, 1p and the number 3 would show up in the total
column)

Is there a formula that would help with this (I'm assuming some sort of If
statement)

thanks for taking the time to read this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tel

This may be a bit cumbersome but try this (assuming A1 is your start point)

=COUNTIF(A1:A7,"a")+COUNTIF(A1:A7,"P")

Tel