Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting items in one column based on criteria in another

I'm trying to count the number of rows in a column which meet criteria
identified in another column. I'm creating a payroll template where one
column identifies whether the position is full-time or part-time. In my
first month of payroll I want to be able to count the number payroll amounts
which are classified as full-time. I also want to ignore any zeroes. Any
help would be greatly appreciated. In using Windows 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

*Maybe* this....

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="full-time"),--(B1:B1000))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"kmc103" wrote in message
I'm trying to count the number of rows in a column which meet criteria
identified in another column. I'm creating a payroll template where one
column identifies whether the position is full-time or part-time. In my
first month of payroll I want to be able to count the number payroll
amounts
which are classified as full-time. I also want to ignore any zeroes. Any
help would be greatly appreciated. In using Windows 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Unfortunately that didn't work. I tried the formula and it gave me a zero
value. Also, I'm looking to count the # of cells which match the criteria.
I think sumproduct would give me the sum. Thanks - I appreciate the response

"kmc103" wrote in message
I'm trying to count the number of rows in a column which meet criteria
identified in another column. I'm creating a payroll template where one
column identifies whether the position is full-time or part-time. In my
first month of payroll I want to be able to count the number payroll
amounts
which are classified as full-time. I also want to ignore any zeroes. Any
help would be greatly appreciated. In using Windows 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If that formula gave a zero result it means that you have no rows in which
column A ="full-time" and column B0. If you have any rows which meet both
those criteria, that formula will count them.
--
David Biddulph