Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Disecting Contents

Hi
I am downloading a file and in column c the contents wil be numeric
separated by commas (as many as 5 numbers separated by commas
12345678,23456789,9876543,123456 in some cases 8 digits and in others 6). I
understand TextColumns for separating the contents however I would like to
keep the downloaded file intact and then disect the contents of Column C into
Column L-P. Suggestions?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

DataText to ColumnsDelimited byCommaNextDestination.

Type in L1 or click on the refedit button and point to L1 then Finish

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:54:00 -0700, Sandy
wrote:

Hi
I am downloading a file and in column c the contents wil be numeric
separated by commas (as many as 5 numbers separated by commas
12345678,23456789,9876543,123456 in some cases 8 digits and in others 6). I
understand TextColumns for separating the contents however I would like to
keep the downloaded file intact and then disect the contents of Column C into
Column L-P. Suggestions?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your response
Allow me to modify my question a bit. Ultimately I want to use the disected
numbers in a vlookup. Can I do this without disecting the original cell.
For instance in column l= vlookup(first number in Col C, myrange,3) Col M =
vlookup(Second Number in Col C, myrange,3)....
Thanks

wrote:

Hi
I am downloading a file and in column c the contents wil be numeric
separated by commas (as many as 5 numbers separated by commas
12345678,23456789,9876543,123456 in some cases 8 digits and in others 6). I
understand TextColumns for separating the contents however I would like to
keep the downloaded file intact and then disect the contents of Column C into
Column L-P. Suggestions?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Sandy,
When you use Text to Columns, the last stage gives you (among other things)
the option of exactly where you want the expanded the to go. This is the
Destination Feild. Excel defaults this to the source cell, so if you don't
change it, it will over-write the original data.
Just make sure you change this to some other cell. This way, you can put
your expanded data wherever you like, and your original data will not be lost.
Regards - Dave.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks!
I guess I realized I was taking an additional step that I didnt have to if I
can read the numbers (between the commas) without having to use textcolumn