Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copying worksheet, path/file access error: '\vbxxx.tmp'

I am getting the following error when copying worksheets within a workbook,
path/file access error: '\vbxxx.tmp' but only under very specific condidions.

Open worksheet with macros from network via Execl's file open and copy a
worksheet inside a workbook produces the error.

If the spreadsheet doesn't have any macros, no problems. If I go and add a
macro, which is does nothing other than contain an empty function, I get the
error.
If I open the (network) file via windows explorer I don't have a problem
copying worksheets.
If I copy the files to my local hard drive, no problems copying worksheets.
I have tested this on both Office 2000 and Office 2003 and they both get the
error.
I haven't tested Office 2007 yet.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Copying worksheet, path/file access error: '\vbxxx.tmp'

It seems like the issue might be related to the network connection or file access permissions. Here are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. Check your network connection: Make sure that your network connection is stable and that you have the necessary permissions to access the file. If you are using a VPN, try disconnecting and reconnecting to see if that resolves the issue.
  2. Save the file locally: As you mentioned, copying the file to your local hard drive resolves the issue. Try saving the file locally and see if you can copy the worksheet without any errors.
  3. Check file access permissions: Make sure that you have the necessary permissions to access the file. If you are not the owner of the file, check with the owner to ensure that you have the necessary permissions to access and modify the file.
  4. Disable macros: If the issue only occurs when macros are enabled, try disabling macros and see if you can copy the worksheet without any errors. To disable macros, go to the Excel Options menu, select Trust Center, and then click on Trust Center Settings. From there, select Macro Settings and choose the option to disable all macros.
  5. Update Office: If you are using an older version of Office, try updating to the latest version to see if that resolves the issue. Office 2007 and later versions have improved security features that may help resolve the issue.

I hope these suggestions help resolve the issue. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think that this has come up a couple of times--but I'm not sure if I've
seen/remember the solution.

I suggested this once:

Maybe cleaning up your temp folder will help.

close excel
windows start button|run
%temp%
Delete all those files and folders.

It may be best to do this right after you reboot your pc, so that no other
programs are running that need any of these files.

==
If that doesn't help, try disabling your antivirus software (just temporarily)
to see if that helps.

=======
But never got a reply that it worked.

=====
I searched google again for "\vb" and .tmp and got a few hits.

One of them:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...1eecaad1c774cc
or
http://snipurl.com/1339g

If you find a solution, please post back--then google will have it for the next
victim.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice. I had a look at the hyperlink you posted, didn't help
:(.

I have tried this on multiple workstations and I can always reproduce the
error provided those 3 conditions are met; network file, open the file via
Excel's file open menu, and contains macros.

goneill3 wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Someplace on the MS web site, there's a link to a phone number. Have your
credit card handy. From what I understand, if they agree that it's a bug,
they'll refund the charge.

goneill3 wrote:

[...]

Junior Member

Default Path/file access error

Hey guys,

For whoever is gonna read this, I hope this message in this thread after 15 years will help you. I got the same problem and my issue was: copying worksheet manually in the file without any macro was going fine.
But then, if I'd create a macro in a workbook and save it as "*.xlsm", manually creating a copy of a sheet will work fine for me. The thing is, if I would run a code for copying a sheet, it will fail for this file both manually or by the code and it will persist in this file from the point onwards.

I tried a solution I found online and it was to delete everything from `C:\..\user\AppData\Local\Temp` but it didn't help. Also tried relocate it from drive `D:\` where my workbook was placed to the `C:\` drive (both are local) and that didn't help as well.

What helped me is to change the Excel default save path for workbooks. By default before my change it was like this: `C:\Users\%myUser%\OneDrive\Documents` and this folder was shared through the cloud (I got multiple PCs under my Microsoft account), so it seems that when Excel is trying to copy a worksheet in a workbook with VBA project (don't ask me why it was working without one) it's creating a `.\VBXXXX.tmp` file in default save location, but failed to write in it.

I found dozens of them in there, all empty because of I assume the fail to write in them. So I changed my default save path in Excel to `D:\Docs\...` and it finally worked. Hope it will help someone somewhere because I spent heaps of time to resolve this issue.

By the way: my OS is Win10, Excel version is: Microsoft Excel 2016 MSO (16.0.13628.20128) 32-bit.
Junior Member

Thumbs up Thanks, it worked!

Thank you very much, Thunderr. yeah it did work for me too. I'm really glad that you posted this 15 years later :) It solved my problem. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderr View Post