Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Not working: Conditional Formatting

Excel 2007

Conditional formatting is not changing formatting unless something is
triggered to refresh the screen.

For example, cell D5 has the following rule: =G5<"" format with blue
fill. When I manually type an entry into G5, D5 fills properly. But if
I delete (delete, not space) the G5 entry, the blue fill is not
removed from D5. BUT... when I task swap to another program and come
back, it takes effect. D5 is then restored to no fill.

So, conditional formatting is formulated correctly and I'm doing
things correctly, but Excel's screen isn't refreshing automatically -
only when I pop over to another program and come back.

The only time it works right is if I manually make the entry in G5. if
I paste an entry into a previously blank G5, nothing happens to D5.
Also if I autofill down or CTRL+D to populate and entry into G5, D5 in
unaffected. BUT... then all these work correctly once I task swap to
another program and come back. The screen somehow refreshes to correct
its conditional formatting.

Is there a way to fix this?

-Melina
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Not working: Conditional Formatting

Hi Melina,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with conditional formatting in Excel 2007. It sounds like the formatting isn't updating automatically when you delete the contents of a cell, but it does update when you switch to another program and then back to Excel.

One thing you can try is to check the settings for automatic calculation in Excel. Here's how:
  1. Click on the "Office" button in the top left corner of the Excel window.
  2. Click on "Excel Options" at the bottom of the menu.
  3. Click on "Formulas" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Under "Calculation options," make sure that "Automatic" is selected.

If "Automatic" is already selected, you can try turning it off and then back on again to see if that fixes the issue.

Another thing you can try is to force Excel to recalculate the sheet by pressing the F9 key. This should update the conditional formatting immediately, without having to switch to another program and back.

If neither of these solutions work, there may be an issue with your installation of Excel. You could try repairing or reinstalling Excel to see if that resolves the problem.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can do to assist you.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Turn your calculation mode to automatic.

ButtonExcel OptionsFormulasCalculation Options.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:38:54 -0700 (PDT), Mel wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here are two other unresolved threads where users had the same issue
about which I'm writing.

http://tinyurl.com/cf-issue01
http://tinyurl.com/cf-issue02

Is this an Excel bug?

-Melina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Someone suggested my video card is at fault for not refreshing fast
enough. But it can't be. The same conditional formatting works iin
other workbooks, which are much larger, and it works fine in v2003,
not to mention I have much video demands with other software I use and
the video card performs well.

The workbooks in questions were created in v2003 with conditional
formatting. When built in 2007 the same formatting works fine. (Again
showing it's not my machine.) But when reprogramming the 2003
workbook's conditional formatting in 2007 and using 2007 tools to do
it, the same problem occurs.

So, what's the issue with having saved a 2003 workbook in 2007 and the
conditional formatting will not refresh correctly? Obviously, I'm not
the only one to have discovered this. Is it a known bug?

Is the the right group to be asking this question?

Thanks,
Melina

On Apr 14, 11:38*am, Mel wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh it's a known bug all right. Good luck getting any of the office "experts"
to respond though. They know the problem and have no solution. Instead they
like to think it's your fault. It must be a bad formula or auto-calc. Don't
know how many times I've seen that bit of advice here. 2003 and 2007 don't
play nicely together where CF is concerned. I've had luck writing
Worksheet_Change code instead of the CF tool, but this is an issue I've
fought with for the past few years with no resolution through CF.

.