Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default find last cell in range with data, display cell address

Hi,

I have scoured these posts but haven't quite found what I'm looking for,
hopefully someone can help....

Is it possible to write a formula that will search a range (D18:V18), find
the last cell in that range with data, then show the cell address, not the
value of the cell, in a different cell? I have been thinking that maybe I
will need an array formula, or at worst, a macro or VBA?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

sevi
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

find the last cell in that range with data

What is the data type? Is it TEXT or NUMERIC or is it a mixture of BOTH? Are
there any formulas in this range that return blanks? Do you want to include
these blanks as data?

Assuming the data type is TEXT and there are no formulas in the range that
return blanks:

=IF(COUNTA(D18:V18),ADDRESS(18,MATCH(REPT("z",255) ,D18:V18)+3,4),"")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"sevi61" wrote in message

I have scoured these posts but haven't quite found what I'm looking for,
hopefully someone can help....

Is it possible to write a formula that will search a range (D18:V18), find
the last cell in that range with data, then show the cell address, not the
value of the cell, in a different cell? I have been thinking that maybe I
will need an array formula, or at worst, a macro or VBA?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

sevi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi Biff,

thank you for your prompt reply. in answer to your question; the data is
numeric and there are formulas in the range but not to return blanks. the
formula that would be in the last populated cell would be =(9-SUM(XXX:XXX))
I hope this clarifies things a little

thanks again for taking the time to help with this

regards,
sevi

"sevi61" wrote in message

I have scoured these posts but haven't quite found what I'm looking for,
hopefully someone can help....

Is it possible to write a formula that will search a range (D18:V18), find
the last cell in that range with data, then show the cell address, not the
value of the cell, in a different cell? I have been thinking that maybe I
will need an array formula, or at worst, a macro or VBA?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

sevi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

FWIW -
This cell reference is *Text*
And can't be used in other formulas for calculation purposes, just for
display purposes.

Must be wrapped in Indirect() to use in calculations.
--

HTH,

RD

"sevi61" wrote in message

I have scoured these posts but haven't quite found what I'm looking for,
hopefully someone can help....

Is it possible to write a formula that will search a range (D18:V18),
find
the last cell in that range with data, then show the cell address, not
the
value of the cell, in a different cell? I have been thinking that maybe
will need an array formula, or at worst, a macro or VBA?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

sevi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=ADDRESS(18,3+MATCH(LOOKUP(99^99,D18:V18),D18:V18) )

Try that with these values:

D18 = 29
E18 = 41
G18 = 36

Try it like this:

=ADDRESS(18,3+MATCH(99^99,D18:V18))

Since we saved a few keystrokes by eliminating the LOOKUP call we can add
some robustness <g:

=IF(COUNT(D18:V18),ADDRESS(18,3+MATCH(99^99,D18:V1 8)),"")

We don't really need the $$ signs do we? Even if you want to use that
address in another formula you'd have to reference it with INDIRECT and the
$$ signs are superfluous to INDIRECT.

=IF(COUNT(D18:V18),ADDRESS(18,3+MATCH(99^99,D18:V1 8),4),"")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"sevi61" wrote in message

I have scoured these posts but haven't quite found what I'm looking
for,
hopefully someone can help....

Is it possible to write a formula that will search a range (D18:V18),
find
the last cell in that range with data, then show the cell address, not
the
value of the cell, in a different cell? I have been thinking that maybe
will need an array formula, or at worst, a macro or VBA?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

sevi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I forgot the "exact" argument:

=ADDRESS(18,3+MATCH(LOOKUP(99^99,D18:V18),D18:V18, 0))

BUT ... I like yours better:

=ADDRESS(18,3+MATCH(99^99,D18:V18))

And I usually wait for the OP's comments before adding too much
"robustness".<g

RD

"sevi61" wrote in message

I have scoured these posts but haven't quite found what I'm looking
for,
hopefully someone can help....

Is it possible to write a formula that will search a range (D18:V18),
find
the last cell in that range with data, then show the cell address, not
the
value of the cell, in a different cell? I have been thinking that maybe
will need an array formula, or at worst, a macro or VBA?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

sevi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=ADDRESS(18,3+MATCH(LOOKUP(99^99,D18:V18),D18:V18 ,0))

That could choke if the last value was duplicated in the range:

...D....E....F...G....H
10...22........15...10

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"sevi61" wrote in message

I have scoured these posts but haven't quite found what I'm looking
for,
hopefully someone can help....

Is it possible to write a formula that will search a range (D18:V18),
find
the last cell in that range with data, then show the cell address, not
the
value of the cell, in a different cell? I have been thinking that
maybe
will need an array formula, or at worst, a macro or VBA?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

sevi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It could be "worse". If Harlan was critiquing this thread he would also
point out that it's more efficient to use a constant rather than a
calculated lookup_value:

=ADDRESS(18,3+MATCH(99^99,D18:V18))

=ADDRESS(18,3+MATCH(1E10,D18:V18))

And If Aladin were critiquing this thread he would "complain" about not
using 9.99999999999999E+307 as the constant.

And if Domenic were critiquing this thread he would calculate both the row
argument and the column offset so that the formula would be robust against
row/column insertions.

So, no matter what you do ............

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"sevi61" wrote in message

I have scoured these posts but haven't quite found what I'm looking
for,
hopefully someone can help....

Is it possible to write a formula that will search a range (D18:V18),
find
the last cell in that range with data, then show the cell address,
not
the
value of the cell, in a different cell? I have been thinking that
maybe
will need an array formula, or at worst, a macro or VBA?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

sevi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thank you! that is just the ticket. I realise I might be taking advantage of
your good nature (and your considerable knowledge of Excel) but now i need to
find a formula that will take the numeric value from that cell and use it in
a summing function. i have been tooling around with INDIRECT but as I am
pretty much a novice I haven't had much luck.

any help you could provide would be greatly apprectiated.

"sevi61" wrote in message

I have scoured these posts but haven't quite found what I'm looking
for,
hopefully someone can help....

Is it possible to write a formula that will search a range (D18:V18),
find
the last cell in that range with data, then show the cell address, not
the
value of the cell, in a different cell? I have been thinking that maybe
will need an array formula, or at worst, a macro or VBA?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

sevi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You really don't want to use the address.

Simply use the *last* number:

=Lookup(99^99,D18:V18)

Which will return the *same* value as:

=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(18,3+MATCH(99^99,D18:V18)))
--

HTH,

RD

"sevi61" wrote in message

I have scoured these posts but haven't quite found what I'm looking
for,
hopefully someone can help....

Is it possible to write a formula that will search a range (D18:V18),
find
the last cell in that range with data, then show the cell address,
not
the
value of the cell, in a different cell? I have been thinking that
maybe
will need an array formula, or at worst, a macro or VBA?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

sevi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Appreciate the feed-back.

RD