Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Design Mode Greyed Out

I can not for the life of me figure out why this button is greyed out. I've
looked all over the web and I'm sure it's a simple solution. If anyone has
any advice why my design mode button is greyed out let me know. Thanks
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Design Mode Greyed Out

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the Design Mode button in Excel. Here are a few things you can try to get it working again:
  1. Make sure you're in the right view: Design Mode is only available in certain views, such as the Developer tab or the Design tab. If you're not in one of these views, the button will be greyed out. To switch to the Developer tab, go to File Options Customize Ribbon, and then check the box next to Developer in the right-hand column. If you're already in the Developer tab, try switching to the Design tab to see if the button becomes available.
  2. Check your security settings: Excel has some security settings that can prevent certain features from working properly. To check your settings, go to File Options Trust Center Trust Center Settings, and then click on Macro Settings. Make sure that the option for "Disable all macros with notification" is selected. If it's set to "Disable all macros without notification," this could be preventing Design Mode from working.
  3. Check for ActiveX controls: Design Mode is often used for working with ActiveX controls, such as buttons or text boxes. If you have an ActiveX control on your worksheet that is not properly registered, this could be causing the Design Mode button to be greyed out. To check for ActiveX controls, go to the Developer tab and click on the Design Mode button. If you see any controls with a red X over them, this means they are not properly registered. Try deleting them and then re-adding them to see if this fixes the issue.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Design mode is greyed out when you do not have anything on the worksheet for
which you can use design mode.

Create a control button or combobox or something and it will come to life.
In fact, it turns on by default when you create the object so you can
continue with the design and you have to turn it off before you can use the
object.

Regards,

OssieMac

"ybkusz" wrote:

I can not for the life of me figure out why this button is greyed out. I've
looked all over the web and I'm sure it's a simple solution. If anyone has
any advice why my design mode button is greyed out let me know. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you using the weird and wonderful Vs 2007? If so, I notice that mine's
greyed out too until I click either the View Code or Properties buttons. Of
course, if you have inserted a form or Active X Control, then the Design
button should not be greyed out.

Vs2007 doesn't seem to behave in the same manner for all people, so you may
have to find your own way to wake it up!

Rob

"ybkusz" wrote in message
I can not for the life of me figure out why this button is greyed out. I've
looked all over the web and I'm sure it's a simple solution. If anyone has
any advice why my design mode button is greyed out let me know. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks
That certainly does the trick