Anna / Ideal

Default Running total w/2 columns - Excel

I have a spreadsheet where I have an "Current" column & a "MTD" column, can I
have the MTD column keep a running total everytime I enter a new number in
the Current column?
Roger Govier

With your current column being B starting with data in B2 and your MTD
column being C
In C2
=IF(B2="","",SUM($B$2:B2))
Copy down column C as far as you need.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Anna / Ideal" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet where I have an "Current" column & a "MTD" column, can
have the MTD column keep a running total everytime I enter a new number in
the Current column?

Anna / Ideal

Roger: Thank you for your response. My problem is this: When I used this
formula and I typed in a number, that number was shown in the MTD column.
Perfect. Except when I enter a new number in the Current column, it just put
that same number in the MTD column.

Say like this:

Current MTD
Shingle loads 5 10
Job set ups 4 8
Shingle complete 6 15

So, the next day I would just put a new number in the current column and
then I am manually changing the MTD column. I would like it to automatically
add the new number itself in the MTD column.

Is this possible?

"Anna / Ideal" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet where I have an "Current" column & a "MTD" column, can
have the MTD column keep a running total everytime I enter a new number in
the Current column?

Roger Govier

Hi Anna

I don't think you can have copied my formula correctly.
Is your Monthly data in column B? Is your cumulative in column C?
If not you will need to modify it accordingly.

Do note the use of the $ signs in front of the B and 2 at the beginning if
the last expression. They are ther to anchor the start point to the
beginning of you data and will remain fixed as you copy down. The second B2
is relative, and will alter to B3, B4 etc. as you copy down.

=IF(B2="","",SUM($B$2:B2))
Post back iy you re using different columns, and can't amend the formula
yourself.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Anna / Ideal" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet where I have an "Current" column & a "MTD" column,
can
have the MTD column keep a running total everytime I enter a new number
in
the Current column?

Anna / Ideal

I beleive I did copy the formula correctly. The thing of it is, is that I
don't think that column C can add to itself. (when I tried to do this myself
I keep getting a circular reference) The number I putting in column B only
copies itself to column C exactly. It doesn't take the number that's already
in column C and add the new number in column B to itself. I'm only getting
what I enter in column B in column C. There is no addition happening.

"Anna / Ideal" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet where I have an "Current" column & a "MTD" column,
can
have the MTD column keep a running total everytime I enter a new number
in
the Current column?

Roger Govier

Hi Anna

The formula is not adding column C. It is providing a summation of column B
from row 2 down to the last entry in column B that is not blank.
As you continue to enter more data successively down column B, the adjacent
cell in column C will always reflect the summation as described above. Have
you actually tried it, or are you just assuming it doesn't work?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Anna / Ideal" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet where I have an "Current" column & a "MTD"
column,
can
have the MTD column keep a running total everytime I enter a new
number
in
the Current column?

Anna / Ideal

Yes, you see this is not an ongoing column. I change the number daily for
that particular department. The number I entered yesterday will not be there
today & today's will not be there tomorrow. I just type over the previous
number with the new number. So I am manually keeping the MTD column going.
I just thought there was a way to have that cell in the MTD column C add
itself plus the new number in column B.

"Anna / Ideal" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet where I have an "Current" column & a "MTD"
column,
can
have the MTD column keep a running total everytime I enter a new
number
in
the Current column?

Roger Govier

Hi Anna
I see. The mention of column made me think you had continuous columns of
data.
What you are cahnging and maintaining is just a cell.
Yes you will get circular references if trying to accumultae data.
I think the only solution is a VBA solution - I don't have time to sort this
out for you right now as I have to go out.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Roger Govier" wrote:

With your current column being B starting with data in B2 and your
MTD
column being C
In C2
=IF(B2="","",SUM($B$2:B2))
Copy down column C as far as you need.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Anna / Ideal" wrote in
message
I have a spreadsheet where I have an "Current" column & a "MTD"
column,
can
have the MTD column keep a running total everytime I enter a new
number
in
the Current column?

RagDyer

You can check out this web page of John McGimpsey, where he gives a VBA as
well as a WS function possible solution to your question:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

--
HTH,

RD

"Roger Govier" wrote:

With your current column being B starting with data in B2 and

your
MTD
column being C
In C2
=IF(B2="","",SUM($B$2:B2))
Copy down column C as far as you need.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Anna / Ideal" wrote in
message
I have a spreadsheet where I have an "Current" column & a

"MTD"
column,
can
have the MTD column keep a running total everytime I enter a

new
number
in
the Current column?

pthillegas

Anna-

You should use two sheets in the same workbook. Use sheet1 to
summarize your results for printing and Sheet2 to input the daily
numbers .

Set up sheet2 (your data) something like this:

1 A B C D E
F G H
2 1/1/2005 1/2/2005 1/3/2005 1/4/2005 1/5/2005 1/6/2005 1/7/2005
3 Item A 7 5 3 8 9 1 4
4 Item B 3 5 9 0 2 4 6

Set up Sheet1 (summary for presentation) as follows:

A B C
1 1/2/2005
2 Cur Mo MTD
3
4 Item A 5 12
5 Item B 5 8

where Cell A1 contains the report date,

The current month column uses the following formula:

=SUMIF(Sheet2!B$2:I$2,Sheet1!$A$1,Sheet2!B3:I3); copy this formula
down

Use the following array formula in the month-to-date column:

{=SUM(IF(Sheet2!B$2:I$2<=Sheet1!$A$1,Sheet2!B3:I3, 0))}; copy this
formula down

Note that this is an array formula - do not type the braces "{}", Excel
will enter these for you - you will need to type the formula and press
Ctrl-Shift-Enter to make it work.

By setting up your worksheet this way you can "recreate" any day of the
month by entering a date into cell A1 on Sheet1.

Also, on Sheet2 enter the first day of the month in Cell B2, then in
column C2 enter the formula =B2+1 and copy this to subsequent columns.
That way when creating the worksheet for the next month you only need to
enter the new month's starting date in B2.

-Terry

--
pthillegas
pthillegas's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16836

Anna / Ideal

Thank you so much for this information. One more question, Can I use this
formula on several cells at a time using the automatic calculation? It seems
if I use this for more than one cell in a column, it will recalculate
everything.

"Roger Govier" wrote:

With your current column being B starting with data in B2 and

your
MTD
column being C
In C2
=IF(B2="","",SUM($B$2:B2))
Copy down column C as far as you need.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Anna / Ideal" wrote in
message
I have a spreadsheet where I have an "Current" column & a

"MTD"
column,
can
have the MTD column keep a running total everytime I enter a

new
number
in
the Current column?

RagDyeR

AFAIK,

Automatic calculation will change (update) all such accumulator cells in the
*entire* WB.

The only thing I can think of, is to place these cells on different sheets.
Then, you can set calculation to "manual", and create new windows, so that
each sheet is concurrently displayed alongside each other.

Then, you can manually calculate *individual* sheets, thus revising one
accumulator, without changing the others.

<Shift <F9 will calculate *only* the sheet in focus.
--

HTH,

RD

"Roger Govier" wrote:

With your current column being B starting with data in B2 and

your
MTD
column being C
In C2
=IF(B2="","",SUM($B$2:B2))
Copy down column C as far as you need.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Anna / Ideal" wrote in
message
I have a spreadsheet where I have an "Current" column & a

"MTD"
column,
can
have the MTD column keep a running total everytime I enter

new
number
in
the Current column?