Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default adding a phone area code that is not there

I have a spreadsheet that I exported from our school database. The phone
numbers were not entered with area codes, and I need to add them because this
spread sheet is being used to update an automated calling system. 98% of the
phone numbers are the same (661) I thought about just adding 6610000000 to
each number, but I'm thinking that will be as much work as adding to each
field. Help, how can I add an area code to an entire column of 1400 fields
the quickest?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The custom format worked great! Thanks. I always feel stupid and think "Why
didn't I think of that?" Oh well, I guess that why you guys are here.

"RagDyer" wrote:

Try a custom format of:
"661-"#

--
HTH,

RD

"Kelly" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I exported from our school database. The phone
numbers were not entered with area codes, and I need to add them because
this
spread sheet is being used to update an automated calling system. 98% of
the
phone numbers are the same (661) I thought about just adding 6610000000
each number, but I'm thinking that will be as much work as adding to each
field. Help, how can I add an area code to an entire column of 1400
fields
the quickest?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Appreciate the feed-back ... BUT ...
Just re-read your OP, and I'm wondering if *just* changing the *format*, and
*not* changing the actual value in the cell is good enough for your
purposes.

Don't know code, but it looks like Don's suggestion will change the *value*
in the cell.

RD

"Kelly" wrote in message
The custom format worked great! Thanks. I always feel stupid and think
"Why
didn't I think of that?" Oh well, I guess that why you guys are here.

"RagDyer" wrote:

Try a custom format of:
"661-"#

--