Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Snap

Default how to make a formula ignore blank cells

I'm trying to create a league table but the formula I'm using recognises
blank cells as zero - before any results are input.

My formula (for a tied game) is =if(k3=l3,"1") awarding 1 point for a tie /
draw.

However, my league table shows a tie / draw before the game is played! How
do I get the formula to ignore the cell until data is input?

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Try this, assuming the scores are placed in K3 and I3:

=IF(OR(K3="",I3=""),"",IF(K3=I3,"1"))

This gives a blank if either K3 or I3 are blank. Your formula does not
check for K3 being larger or smaller than I3.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Snap wrote:
I'm trying to create a league table but the formula I'm using recognises
blank cells as zero - before any results are input.

My formula (for a tied game) is =if(k3=l3,"1") awarding 1 point for a tie /
draw.

However, my league table shows a tie / draw before the game is played! How
do I get the formula to ignore the cell until data is input?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Paul B

Snap, one way,

=IF(K3="","",IF(K3=L3,"1",""))

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

/
draw.

However, my league table shows a tie / draw before the game is played! How
do I get the formula to ignore the cell until data is input?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RJ

Sounds like you need to add some logic to your formula for the case where the
cells are still blank. The following formula should help with that.

=IF(AND(k3=l3,AND(k3<"",l3<"")),1,"")

This will leave the cell blank in the case that k3 and l3 are not updated
yet and are still blank.
I do question your wanting to put a value of "1" if there is a tie. By
putting the one in quotes the field will be recognized as text in excel and
will not be helpful if you are planning on doing some calculations using
these numbers later. If you are planning on doing some calculations then I
would not include the quotes.

"Snap" wrote:

I'm trying to create a league table but the formula I'm using recognises
blank cells as zero - before any results are input.

My formula (for a tied game) is =if(k3=l3,"1") awarding 1 point for a tie /
draw.

However, my league table shows a tie / draw before the game is played! How
do I get the formula to ignore the cell until data is input?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RJ

I see you approved one of the prior solutions, but I would try and avoid the
"or" statement if there is a chance one of the two fields you are comparing
can be blank. By having an "And" statement then both fields being blank must
be satisfied.

"Snap" wrote:

I'm trying to create a league table but the formula I'm using recognises
blank cells as zero - before any results are input.

My formula (for a tied game) is =if(k3=l3,"1") awarding 1 point for a tie /
draw.

However, my league table shows a tie / draw before the game is played! How
do I get the formula to ignore the cell until data is input?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Snap

Thanks, Pete, but this still seems to assume the blank cell is zero - if I
put a space in between "". If I don't put a space, a Value error appears. My
Full formula reads

=Sum(IF(K3=M3,"1")+IF(K5=M5,"1")+IF(K7=M7,"1"))

- giving an answer of 3 even if cells are blank. I need the answer to be 0
until scores are input. Any further suggestions?

Thanks

Snap wrote:
I'm trying to create a league table but the formula I'm using recognises
blank cells as zero - before any results are input.

My formula (for a tied game) is =if(k3=l3,"1") awarding 1 point for a tie /
draw.

However, my league table shows a tie / draw before the game is played! How
do I get the formula to ignore the cell until data is input?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MyVeryOwnSelf

Thanks, Pete, but this still seems to assume the blank cell is zero -
if I put a space in between "". If I don't put a space, a Value error
appears. My Full formula reads

=Sum(IF(K3=M3,"1")+IF(K5=M5,"1")+IF(K7=M7,"1"))

- giving an answer of 3 even if cells are blank. I need the answer to
be 0 until scores are input. Any further suggestions?

It looks like maybe:
K3 = team score for game one
M3 = opponent score for game one
K5 & M5 likewise for game 2; and K7 and M7, for game 3

If so, maybe the following formulas will help
O3 contains points for win
=IF(K3&M3="","",2*(K3M3))
and copy down to row 5

P3 contains points for tie