Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2003: Conditional Formatting using "MIN" & "MAX" function

I have a spreadsheet set up that tracks testing scores for
candidates/employees.

I would like to use conditional formatting so I can visually see who has the
highest score and the lowest score

However, I've tried to do conditional formatting and to enter in =MAX (and
then my range) but the conditional formatting applies the color change to all
cells.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your range is B2:x99, you could:
Select the range
with B2 the activecell
format|conditional formatting
formula is:
=b2=min($b$2:$x$99)

and
formula is:
=b2=max($b$2:$x$99)

Those $ signs are important.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Conditional formatting exptect to receive a true or false in order to
determine if the condition is met. In a computer 0 is false and any other
number is true. Usually you will see it as 1 for true but really any nuber
will do.

So in your formula max(range) is returning the highest value (as a guess not
0) so the condition is true and the format applies. What you want is
something to determine if the current cell equals the max value and then you
will get true or false... so to that end...

=A1=max(range($A$1:$A$10)

will return true if A1 equals the max of the range and false otherwise. Try
something more like that...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson