Chenopod

Default Excel should let me use formulas that refer to other cells w/ form

Currently, formulas in MS Excel only let you call on cells that have constant
values. This has made it extremely difficult for me to manipulate
spreadsheets effectively in my company. I'm not sure if it is possible to
perform these tasks in Visual Basic Editor, but I strongly suggest that a
future version of Excel allow formulas to refer to other cells with formulas
and funtions (whose values could change). It doesn't seem too hard to
accomplish because whenever a formula refers to other cells with formulas,
following the line of cell references always ends with constants. In other
words, if you were to combine all formulas of this nature into one huge
formula, it would in fact refer only to constants.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...et.f unctions
Duke Carey

Are you stating that you cannot use a formula or function to refer to cell A1
if cell A1 has a formula? If so, your statement couldn't be any further off
base.

If I've misread your comment, please clarify what are you trying to express.

"Chenopod" wrote:

Currently, formulas in MS Excel only let you call on cells that have constant
values. This has made it extremely difficult for me to manipulate
spreadsheets effectively in my company. I'm not sure if it is possible to
perform these tasks in Visual Basic Editor, but I strongly suggest that a
future version of Excel allow formulas to refer to other cells with formulas
and funtions (whose values could change). It doesn't seem too hard to
accomplish because whenever a formula refers to other cells with formulas,
following the line of cell references always ends with constants. In other
words, if you were to combine all formulas of this nature into one huge
formula, it would in fact refer only to constants.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...et.f unctions

RagDyeR

You are sooooo wrong, that It must be that I'm not understanding what you're
writing.

Are you saying that a formula *cannot* use the return of a cell that
contains another formula?

You're not saying that ... are you?

RD

"Chenopod" wrote in message
Currently, formulas in MS Excel only let you call on cells that have
constant
values. This has made it extremely difficult for me to manipulate
spreadsheets effectively in my company. I'm not sure if it is possible to
perform these tasks in Visual Basic Editor, but I strongly suggest that a
future version of Excel allow formulas to refer to other cells with formulas
and funtions (whose values could change). It doesn't seem too hard to
accomplish because whenever a formula refers to other cells with formulas,
following the line of cell references always ends with constants. In other
words, if you were to combine all formulas of this nature into one huge
formula, it would in fact refer only to constants.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...et.f unctions

azmi athas

i absolutely agree with this. infact i found this site after trying to
find a solution to the same issue. havent found any solution so far,
and appriciate if some one could help on this.
thanks

--
azmi athas
azmi athas's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23823

JE McGimpsey

What issue are you having? This works fine for me:

A1: 1
A2: 2
A3: =A1 + A2 ==== 3
A4: =A3 * 4 ==== 12

So the formula in A4 refers to another cell (A3) with a formula.

What trouble are you having?

In article ,
azmi athas
wrote:

i absolutely agree with this. infact i found this site after trying to
find a solution to the same issue. havent found any solution so far,
and appriciate if some one could help on this.

azmi

appriciate your prompt reply. my issue was, the formula displays (#DIV/0!)
BEFORE entering the data. i.e., the formula is entered first, and the
relevent data is to be entered at a later stage.as far as i know this only
happens when you devide a value by zero or when the formula has to devide
zero by zero. this does not happen when you multiply or add. hence this cell
which gives (#DIV/0!) will continue to be the same to all formulas which
refers this particula cell(s). howerver i managed to find that "ISERROR"
function eliminates this issue.

A1=0
B1=0
C1=A1/B1=#DIV/0!

SOLUTION
C1=IF(ISERROR(A1/B1),'''',A1/B1)

thanks.

wrote:

i absolutely agree with this. infact i found this site after trying to
find a solution to the same issue. havent found any solution so far,
and appriciate if some one could help on this.

JE McGimpsey

Multiplication and addition happen before the data is entered, just as
division does. The difference is that multiplication by zero and
addition of zero are defined, whereas division by zero is not, hence the
error.

Note that ISERROR() will mask any other errors you have. It's usually
better to trap only "expected" errors:

C1: =IF(B1=0,"",A1/B1)

In article ,
"azmi" wrote:

appriciate your prompt reply. my issue was, the formula displays (#DIV/0!)
BEFORE entering the data. i.e., the formula is entered first, and the
relevent data is to be entered at a later stage.as far as i know this only
happens when you devide a value by zero or when the formula has to devide
zero by zero. this does not happen when you multiply or add. hence this cell
which gives (#DIV/0!) will continue to be the same to all formulas which
refers this particula cell(s). howerver i managed to find that "ISERROR"
function eliminates this issue.

A1=0
B1=0
C1=A1/B1=#DIV/0!

SOLUTION
C1=IF(ISERROR(A1/B1),'''',A1/B1)

azmi

your explanation worked out perfectly, and sorted my problem without further
complications. thanks to you. but before i leave, just out of curiosity may i
ask, is CHENOPOD (the one who bought the similar issue first) has the same
problem as mine, or is he refering to something else?