ltanner

Default Formatting lines between data points in a line chart

I have a simple line chart which graphs data over a 3-year timeframe.
Between each of the years, I would like there to be a gap in the line. In my
previous version of Excel, I was able to do this by choosing "None" for the
formatting of the line between the datapoints. In my current version of
Excel (Excel 2002, XP operating system), if I choose "none" it simply charts
a line between 2 non-contiguous months. For example, if I remove the line
between December 2004 and January 2005, Excel 2002 will simply graph the line
between December 2004 and February 2005.

Anyone have a solution for this problem?

--
ltanner
John Mansfield

Itanner,

As an example, assume the small subset below that crosses between 2004 and
2005. The X-axis needs to be a time scale (if your months are set up as
dates it will be).

Data
09/01/04 6
10/01/04 4
11/01/04 7
12/01/04 8
01/01/05 6
02/01/05 4
03/01/05 7
04/01/05 6

Add another date between 12/01/2004 and 01/01/2005. The revision looks like
this:

Data
09/01/04 6
10/01/04 4
11/01/04 7
12/01/04 8
12/01/04
01/01/05 6
02/01/05 4
03/01/05 7
04/01/05 6

You should see a break in the line between 2004 and 2005. If the months
need further formatting, double-click on the X-axis and set the major unit to
months.

Another alternative would be to set you data up like this:

2004 2005
09/01/04 6
10/01/04 4
11/01/04 7
12/01/04 8
01/01/05 6
02/01/05 4
03/01/05 7
04/01/05 6

The chart now has two lines that break between years. You could format each
line to be the same color so that the line appears to be one.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"ltanner" wrote:

I have a simple line chart which graphs data over a 3-year timeframe.
Between each of the years, I would like there to be a gap in the line. In my
previous version of Excel, I was able to do this by choosing "None" for the
formatting of the line between the datapoints. In my current version of
Excel (Excel 2002, XP operating system), if I choose "none" it simply charts
a line between 2 non-contiguous months. For example, if I remove the line
between December 2004 and January 2005, Excel 2002 will simply graph the line
between December 2004 and February 2005.

Anyone have a solution for this problem?

--
ltanner

Jon Peltier

Why did they ever break that feature??

Could you use an XY Scatter chart? This still works as expected. If the
category labels have to be text labels (a scatter chart will replace
these with 1, 2, 3, etc.), make a chart with two series, the first
having zero for its Y values, the second being this unruly line series.
Make it as a column chart, to get the text labels, then select the
second, and using Chart Type form the Chart menu, change it to a Scatter
series. Then select and format the line segment you want to hide.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services