Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default remove duplicates

I have a mailing list that is in EXCEL. Occasionally we purchase mailing
lists to solicit new clients and we want to delete the duplicates from the
new lists that are already in our database. My knowledge of EXCEL is very
rudimentary so please be gentle.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to remove duplicates from Col A (say upto row 1000) then enter
this in B1
=COUNTIF(A1:$A$1000,A1) and copy down till B1000

Now any cell in Col B with a number 2 or higher represent a duplicate so you
can filter on 1 and delete those rows

"BlindShelter" wrote:

I have a mailing list that is in EXCEL. Occasionally we purchase mailing
lists to solicit new clients and we want to delete the duplicates from the
new lists that are already in our database. My knowledge of EXCEL is very
rudimentary so please be gentle.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using XL help file, I'd recommend looking at the MATCH formula.
For an example, I'll assume your old data is on Sheet1, new list is on Sheet2
You could setup an extra column next to your new data (Column B?). Enter
this formula in B2 and copy down.

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A2,'Sheet1'!$A$2:$A$1000,0)),"Un ique","Duplicate")

You could then us AutoFilter (Data-Filter) To show only the unique entries
and then copy those to your mailing list.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M