In excel what does a file ending with .xlsx mean?

Old March 4th 09, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pdog1967

Default In excel what does a file ending with .xlsx mean?

I have created and saved several files in Excel. I then sent them to a friend
at a different company. I was then notified that they could open all of the
files that were .xls but the one that was .xlsx they could not open. How did
I get the file saved with the extra x, and what does that mean?
Old March 4th 09, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PJFry

..xlsx is a Excel 2007 format, whereas .xls is Excel 2003 or earlier.

Excel 2007 allows you to save in multiple 2007 formats:
..xlsx - Normal Excel 2007 format
..xlsm - Macro-Enabled format
..xlsb - Binary format

Save your files as 2003 under Save as Type and you should be fine.

PJ

Old March 4th 09, 09:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron de Bruin

Hi pdog1967

This is one of the new file formats in excel 2007

See
http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007filesin2003.htm

This are the main formats in Excel 2007 :

xlsx = xlOpenXMLWorkbook (without macro's in 2007, xlsx)
xlsm = xlOpenXMLWorkbookMacroEnabled (with or without macro's in 2007, xlsm)
xlsb = xlExcel12 (Excel Binary Workbook in 2007 with or without macro’s, xlsb)
xls = xlExcel8 (97-2003 format in Excel 2007, xls)

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

Old March 4th 09, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pdog1967

Thanks, I thought that I had saved them all the same, guess not.