How do you take a 'snapshot' of an excel page (including toolbar)

Old September 7th 07, 03:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pam

Default How do you take a 'snapshot' of an excel page (including toolbar)

I'm doing some informal Excel training for a family member and wanted to make
up a few pages for her to refer to. I've seen pictures online of the excel
toolbar, for example with the File dropdown menu showing. How do I 'take a
picture' of this to put into another program (word or Adobe InDesign)?
Old September 7th 07, 03:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Steve Yandl

Pam,

The 'print scr' key captures a bitmap picture of the screen to the
clipboard. If you hold down the 'Alt' key while pressing 'print scr' the
capture is limited to the active window. I use CorelDraw (Photopaint) as my
graphics manipulation program, you probably use Adobe or perhaps a free
program like IrfanView. The key is to open your graphics program, create a
new file (in my case I create a new file from the clipboard contents) and if
still needed, paste the picture in the clipboard into your new image. Now
you can clip the image or add text notations or make other picture edits
before saving as a jpg, gif or some other format that your family member
might easily be able to open.

Steve

Old September 7th 07, 12:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Depending on what you're copying, you may be able to use this:

Select a range
shift-edit|Copy Picture

Then go to MSWord and paste there.

This is nice for things on the worksheet (ranges, objects, charts, ...). But
not good if you need the toolbars.

If you're going to do this a lot, you may want to look at something like Snagit
from http://www.techsmith.com (commercial product--not freeware).

Or look for a freeware/shareware program that does the same kind of thing.

Old September 7th 07, 02:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

I use the capture from FastStone and it is FREE.

Their image viewer is good also.

http://www.faststone.org/

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old September 7th 07, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mark Lincoln

Gord, Capture appears to be shareware now. According to the site,
it's free for a 30-day trial, after which it must be paid for or
removed.

Mark Lincoln

Old September 8th 07, 03:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Thanks for the update Mark.

Haven't been to the site for a few months.

Don't know when it became Shareware and not Freeware.

Gord