Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
IASG IASG is offline

Default How do I assign a numeric value to a letter

I am creating a work schedule and I need to asign letters to the different
shifts (start and end times) I also have to asign a numeric value to the
letter to denote the duration of the shift in hours. ie
Shift A 2300 -0800 = 9 hours therefore A=9
Shift A1 0200-0800 = 6 hours therefore A1=6
At the end of the schedule i should be able to sum up how many total hours
were worked per month, how many hours each shift worked per month.....
Thank You
GB