Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default comparing two spreadsheets using vlookup and compare

The suggestion was based on my best interp* on your example set-up (as
posted) for Sheets 1 and 2 which was taken to be representative. If it is
representative, then the topline formulas in B2:D2 in Sheet3 can simply be
copied down 9,000 rows as mentioned.

*I re-constructed the set-up based on your cell refs as posted viz:
(assumed "filler" meant blank cell)

Sheet 1

A1 name A2 apple A3Orange A4 Radish
B1 ID B2 001 B3 004 B4 505
C1 place C2 Table C3 bowl C4 Counter

Sheet 2
A1 place A2 counter A3 filler A4 bowl
B1 name B2 Radish B3 filler B4 Orange
C1 ID C2 505 C3 filler C4 004

This was my interp of the above:

In Sheet1 (cols A to C):

name id place
apple 001 table
orange 002 bowl
radish 505 counter

In Sheet2 (cols A to C):

place name id
counter radish 505

bowl orange 004

--
Max
Singapore
"Sweetetc" wrote:
Max

I have 31 columns on spreadsheet 1 to compare with 52 columns in spread
sheet 2
Is your formula realistic to just get a quick snapshot of whether the
mapping matches? If I understood what you are saying I would need to return
the values for sheet 1 column B and sheet 2 column C and then compare them in
column D. That would work but it would be unmanagable as I have over 9000
lines of data
--
Thanks
ETC