David Jessop

The =MATCH function is probably what you need. Suppose your existing data
is in A1:a20 and the new data in D1 then put

=MATCH(D1,A1:a20,0) into (say) F1 and this will either give you the position
of your data in the existing array, or #N/A if it doesn't exist.

HTH,

David Jessop

"excel idiot" wrote:

I have a worksheet set up with a person's name and SS#. I then have to
import (copy and paste) more data ( person's name and SS#) onto this
worksheet. I then have to match the names of the people to the ones that are
currently on the worksheet. I have been going through this manually and it
is taking me forever. Is there a formula where I can search the new data
against the inital data and have the new data line up on the same row as the
intial data, assuming it is an exact match?