Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default comparing two spreadsheets using vlookup and compare

I've posted a response* to this earlier,
http://makeashorterlink.com/?F371423CD

*a revised approach which still uses a new Sheet3 to compare the source
Sheets 1 and 2 while catering for the different col placements in both
source
sheets

The sample construct (full details) is available at:
http://www.savefile.com/files/68553
Comparing 2 sheets with different col placements.xls
--
Max
Singapore
"Sweetetc" wrote in message
Max

You have correctly interpreted the spreadsheet. I agree this will work.
was hoping to create a 3rd spreadsheet of just results Y or N by ids
without
moving the data to the 3rd spread sheet. Do you know of any way to do
that?
--
Thanks
ETC

"Sweetetc" wrote:

I have two spreadsheets with approx 30 columns of data. They are not
identical I am trying to create a 3rd spreadsheet which will validate
if
the mapped data was done correctly. I thought I would have to copy a
column
of data from the 1st sheet into the 3rd sheet, then do a lookup of the
data
in sheet 1 and sheet - then using somekind of a compare function if the
data
is the same return the value of Y
example

Sheet 1

A1 name A2 apple A3Orange A4 Radish
B1 ID B2 001 B3 004 B4 505
C1 place C2 Table C3 bowl C4 Counter

Sheet 2
A1 place A2 counter A3 filler A4 bowl
B1 name B2 Radish B3 filler B4 Orange
C1 ID C2 505 C3 filler C4 004

Sheet 3

Column A would be the ID's
Column B I would want to look up the id in sheet 1 and compare the name
field to the id look up in sheet 2. Iif they were the same return a Y
Thanks
ETC