Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default Why does Excel ask to save when no changes were made?

To be exact if your workbook contains any volatile function (even if the
value calculated does not change) the workbook will be deemed as changed and
a save will be required...

Volatile functions include
Rand, Now, Today, Cell, Offset, Info and Indirect. UDF's can also be
volatile...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Mike H" wrote:

Mike

One explanation could be that there is a time formula in a cell that has
updated on openeing so the worksheet will have changed.
--
Mike

When competing hypotheses are equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces
the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question.
Occam''''s razor (Abbrev)

"Mike" wrote:

This does not pertain to a new document. I open an existing document just to
look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the
document. No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved. It's
annoying.