speedstr speedstr is offline
Junior Member

Default Duplicates and different worksheets

excel 2010

I have a workbook with 2 worksheets. I have 16 rows of numbers arranged as:

Column A Column B Column C
1-1 2-1 3-1
1-2 2-2 3-2
1-3 2-3 3-3
etc......

On the same worksheet I have the same numbers but listed all down one row:
Column D
1-1
1-2
1-3
2-1
2-2
2-3
3-1
3-2
3-3
etc.....

I can create a dropdown list from the single row of numbers. I can highlight duplicates between the dropdown list and the 16 rows by using the conditional formatting ( highlight cell rules, duplicate values). So what happens ( all within the same worksheet) is that I can choose a number from the dropdown list (say, 1-2) and it will highlight the 1-2 in the column of the 16 rows that contain 1-2. That's not an issue and works great.

My question is that I would like the drop down list to be on a separate worksheet and still retain the ability to highlight duplicate cells between the dropdown and the 16 rows. so basically the dropdown list on one sheet and the 16 rows on another sheet. Choosing a number from the dropdown list will highlight (or color) the same number in the other sheet.
Is that possible? Or am I not making sense of what i am trying to do?

Thnaks for any help