spiffytj

Default Is there a formula for IF a cell CONTAINS certain text...

Hi,

I'm trying to make an invoice as automated as possible. I'd like to
have a formula that means: If A25 contains the word "Sands", then B25
is "Flute". If A25 contains the word "Harris", then B25 contains the
word "Piano".

My A column is check numbers with students' last names listed..for
example..Jones 1234 might be in A25. There are about 10 names that
could occur in the A column, most of which should be linked to Piano
lessons. Only 1 or 2 of those names would be linked to Flute lessons.
My B column is the type of music lesson they received (Piano or Flute).
(Later I could add Voice or Other to the lesson types.)

My goal is to be able to type last names and check numbers in column A
and have the lesson type automatically entered into column B.

Perhaps this is an easy question, but I've been looking for an answer
and haven't found one yet. I've worked in Excel enought to figure out
many things, but I'm stuck on this issue. I may not have used the
right vocabulary when searching for a function/formula that could do
this for me.

Thanks in advance!!! :)
-T.S.

--