Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jim Cone[_2_] Jim Cone[_2_] is offline

Default Sort combination of letters and numbers

Assuming your data is in column C and it starts in row 1...
In a blank column next to your data enter this formula...
=RIGHT(C1,LEN(C1)-2)
Fill the formula down to the bottom of your data.
Select both columns and sort using the new column as the key.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Millabird" wrote in message
I have this type of data to sort: C-1, C-2, C-3, C-4, C-5, C-6, all the way
up to C-500, but it doesn't sort into number order. How can I make it sort
by number, and disregard the "C-" part? thanks!