Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
SteveW SteveW is offline

Default How do I force trailing zeros in an Excel cell?

Why can't yuou have the new cell with the same .00000 format
ie, copy and paste (including format)
Anyway I blame the accountants

Steve

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:30:46 +0100, gls858 wrote:

Tony C wrote:
that is exactly how my accounting people created the numeric column by
setting the decimal place to 5, and not all my part number will always
end as
1234.00000
where I am having my problem is a part number like this in the excel
2201.11520, its being seen as 2201.1152 when I move it to another table
or import it into something..
I need it to really be 2201.11520 , so its always retains that trailing
zero...no matter if its in the 4th or 5th location of the decimal.
Any thoughts..
Not if I change the column format to text then instantly I loose that
trailing zero, so that does not work for me..
Hope you can help?
"gls858" wrote:

Tony C wrote:
My accounting people have set up an excel spread sheet. woth part
numbers.
Many of them end in a "0". Ex; 2211.11520
and if you click on a cell with a number ending in 0 , the zero goes
away on the edit line.
When I copy and past this numeric column into other Excels or import
into other applications the Trailing 0 is gone. Any one out there
know a way I can convert or format or save this column and it will
keep the trailing zeros,
Note: when I convert the column from a number to text the trailing
zeros drop off.
Help!
Are the number of digits after the . always the same? If so you could
format the field as number and set the decimal place to 5.

gls858

I seem to recall that converting a numbers format to text doesn't
actually
give the cell the same properties and having the cell formatted as text
before the value is entered. Try formatting the cells as text before
entering the data, if that's possible. Maybe someone else will help
explain this a little better. I know if I format the cell as text and
then enter 2211.11520 the trailing zero stays. If I format it as a number
and then reformat it to text, no trailing zero.