Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Tony C Tony C is offline

Default How do I force trailing zeros in an Excel cell?

that is exactly how my accounting people created the numeric column by
setting the decimal place to 5,
and not all my part number will always end as
1234.00000
where I am having my problem is a part number like this in the excel
2201.11520, its being seen as 2201.1152 when I move it to another table
or import it into something..
I need it to really be 2201.11520 , so its always retains that trailing
zero...no matter if its in the 4th or 5th location of the decimal.
Any thoughts..
Not if I change the column format to text then instantly I loose that
trailing zero, so that does not work for me..
Hope you can help?

"gls858" wrote:

Tony C wrote:
My accounting people have set up an excel spread sheet. woth part numbers.
Many of them end in a "0". Ex; 2211.11520
and if you click on a cell with a number ending in 0 , the zero goes away on
the edit line.
When I copy and past this numeric column into other Excels or import into
other applications the Trailing 0 is gone. Any one out there know a way I can
convert or format or save this column and it will keep the trailing zeros,
Note: when I convert the column from a number to text the trailing zeros
drop off.
Help!

Are the number of digits after the . always the same? If so you could
format the field as number and set the decimal place to 5.

gls858